Skip to main content  

Website survey

Please fill in our quick survey and help us improve this website

Take the survey now



    Have your say speech bubble logo

In the City, uniquely, workers as well as residents have the right to vote. If your organisation is based in the Square Mile it can nominate workers to vote in its local elections.

Every day the City of London Corporation promotes the business City and its interests, provides the highest quality local and policing services and supplies a host of extra facilities across London at no cost to the public.

The annual canvass takes place between August and December annually.

During the annual canvass

A canvass to register worker voters in the City takes place between August and December every year. Organisations will receive their forms through the post by the end of August. Where no response is received, further reminders are sent.

Registration forms are sent to organisations who have already registered worker votes, so that they can confirm or update their existing details, as well as to those who are not yet nominated worker voters.

The details of eligible voters are then published on the Provisional Ward Lists from 30 November to 16 December, which is available for inspection. The final Ward Lists are then published and used for elections taking place between 16 February following and 15 February the year after.

Please note that no updates to the register can be made during the year.

Types of organisations

​Sole traders

Also known as sole proprietorship or simply a proprietorship. A business that is owned and run by one individual. Only the sole trader can be registered as a voter in the City and they must be over 16 years of age, and a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen.


This relates to people who are equity partners of firms (without limited liability), for example legal chambers. Firms with limited liability are considered Qualifying Bodies. Partners appointed as voters in the City must be over 16 years of age, and a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen.

Qualifying body

Any incorporated or unincorporated body physically occupying premises in the City of London. This includes general retail units, bars and restaurants, banks, insurance companies, stock brokers, other financial institutions, limited liability partnerships, charities, trade associations, livery companies, churches and other religious bodies and hospital trusts.

The number of voters that the qualifying body can appoint will depend on the size of the workforce. Organisations with a workforce of nine or less can appoint one voter; those with up to 50 can appoint one voter for every five; those with more than 50 can appoint 10 voters and one additional voter for every 50 and one additional voter for every 50 members of the workforce over the initial 50. In each case the remainders are ignored.

Size of workforce Entitlement
1-9​ 1​
10​ 2​
25​ 5​
50​ 10
100​ 11​
200​ 13​
500​ 19​
1000​ 29​
2000​ 49​
3500 79

Worker eligibility to vote

To be eligible as voters on behalf of an incorporated or unincorporated body, persons must on the qualifying date of 1 September be at least 16 years old (they can only vote at 18) and a citizen of the UK, Republic of Ireland or other Commonwealth or European Union country.

They must also be a member of staff since 1 September last year and whose main place of work is a City premises of the organisation or a member of the Board of Directors or equivalent since 1 September last year or have worked exclusively for the organisation for a total of 5 years or more, at some time during their working career, and either still work in the City or have done so within the last 5 years or have worked mainly in the City for 10 years or more, regardless of the organisation, at some time during their working career and still do so or have done within the last 5 years.

People are eligible to vote in the City’s elections even if they are also registered to vote at their home address as long as they do not live in the City.​

Worker registration information

​What is a qualifying body?

This is any incorporated or unincorporated body apart from a partnership. This includes retail units, bars and restaurants, limited companies, limited liability partnerships, charities, trade associations, livery companies, churches and other religious bodies, banks and hospital trusts. If you are a sole trader or partnership you still get to vote but will need a different form.

How do people get appointed as voters?

If they qualify to stand under the selection criteria, they should contact the relevant contact in their organisation of their interest. Appointments are made internally by the qualifying bodies.

If organisations occupy more than one office in the City, does each office have the right to appoint a voter?

Yes, even if those offices are in the same ward, as long as individuals work in those offices concerned and the offices are not physically linked. The number of votes is determined by the size of the workforce in each building, not as an aggregate.

What is the process for appointing worker voters?

It is the choice of each individual organisation of how to appoint their voters. Some organisations may already have existing arrangements can be deployed satisfactorily for this purpose. The process of appointment should be open and clear and the appointed voters should be reflective of the workforce.

Tips for appointing voters (20kb)

What do voters have to do?

Voters will be informed in writing when and where any elections will take place. They can vote in person at a polling station within their ward or, equally, the City of London welcomes postal votes (proxy voting is also an option).

How do people object if their inclusion on the ward list is not accurate?

Forms on which to make claims or objections will be available from the Electoral Services Office when draft voting lists are published in November.

Can I vote in the City as well as at my home address?

Yes - provided you do not live in the City.

If I live in the City can I vote twice?

No - you can only vote once in the City.

Can one person have all the nominated votes?

No - the system is one vote per person.

Can staff at all levels vote?

Yes – as long as they meet the criteria. Appointments should be reflective of the composition of the workforce.

Who am I voting for?

Aldermen and Common Councilmen (Members) in the City of London ward elections. They make up the City of London’s Court of Common Council – its main decision making body. The City of London provides local government services for the 'Square Mile'.

The next City wide elections to elect our 100 Common Councilmen will take place in March 2017. Aldermen are elected for a six year term but unlike Common Councilmen, they are not all elected at the same time. Although City wide elections are some years away, it is important to register now so that you are able to vote in Aldermanic and by-elections as they occur.

More information on the City of London voting system can be found on the Ward elections pages.

Are voters free to exercise their vote as they wish?

Yes - the vote is a secret ballot just like all other elections.

Can I be on the Ward List and the Register of Electors?

Yes, these are two separate documents. The Ward List is used for the City’s elections of Aldermen and Common Councilmen and the Register of Electors is used for Parliamentary, European Parliamentary and Greater London Authority elections.

Can I be nominated more than once by my company?

No, you can only be registered once and can only have one vote.

Who can register to vote?

To register to vote you must be aged 16 on 1 September of the relevant qualification year (you must be 18 to vote), have worked for the company for more than 12 months and be a citizen of one of the countries listed below:

Commonwealth British Overseas Territories and EU member states (42kb)​

Tips for appointing worker voters

​Here are some ways your firm can select people to be their appointed voters:

  • Send an email to all your staff to find out who is interested in registering to vote. You can contact us if you would like to us to send you some text which can be adapted for your needs. You can provide a link to our website so that they can find out further information about what they will be registering for.
  • Use internal communications such as the company intranet or newsletter, letting people know who they should contact if they would like to become a voter.
    • Put up a poster on staff notice boards. You can download a copy of our poster from our website, or you can get copies from the Electoral Services Office.
  • If you work in a large company you could appoint a certain number of people from each floor or each department. Don’t forget to check with them that they are happy to be appointed.
  • Appoint members of existing representative bodies such as employee forums.
| | | | Currently rated 4 out of 5 (3 votes)