Skip to main content  


    Find out about the support available to help with the cost of childcare for parents and carers working and living in the City of London.

Choose childcare options on the FYi directory

There are three main types of registered childcare:

  • Early years childcare (0 - 5 years) including free nursery places
  • Out of school childcare: for children of school age
  • Childminders usually provided in the childminder’s own home

The following types of registered childcare are available in the City of London:

  • nurseries
  • sessional playgroups
  • childminders
  • out of school clubs and holiday playschemes

Nannies, au pairs, friends and family may also provide care for your child, however, as they are not legally required to register with Ofsted, they do not come under the title of registered childcare.

Nannies and au pairs can choose to register on Ofsted's voluntary childcare register, which means that parents and carers can use childcare vouchers or the childcare element of Working Tax Credit to pay towards the cost of their fees.

Childcare does not include parent toddler groups, Stay and Plays or other activities that parents and carers attend with their children because you remain responsible for your children at these activities.

Childcare in neighbouring areas

Seven local councils border the City of London. If you live near the border with one of these it might be useful to look at the childcare available there.

Each of the following Family Information Services can be contacted for information and advice about childcare in their particular borough.

Disabled children

Children with disabilities may be able to receive additional financial support. Parents may also use childcare for short break care. Contact Family and Young People's Information Service for more details.​