Skip to main content  

Lammas Green

​What is housing benefit?

Housing benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income.  The amount of housing benefit due to you is worked out by looking at:

  • how much money you have coming in.
  • your personal circumstances
  • the amount of rent you have to pay
  • the amount of savings you have

You can find out more using the benefits calculator.

Who can make a claim for housing benefit?

You can claim if you:

  • pay rent to a private landlord in the 'square mile'
  • pay rent to the City of London
  • pay rent to a housing association in the 'square mile'

If you are not sure whether you are entitled to claim housing benefit you can find out more about these benefits on our FAQ pages.

How do I claim housing benefit?

Details on making a claim can be found on our new claims page. Alternatively, if you think you may be entitled to housing benefit and want to register a claim or discuss entitlement with a benefits officer, see our contact page for details on how to get in touch.

If you are claiming both housing benefit and council tax benefit from the City of London you only have to fill out one form.  Please note: If you pay rent to the City of London but live outside the ‘Square Mile’ in the London Boroughs of  Hackney, Islington, Lambeth, Lewisham, Southwark or Tower Hamlets your claim for the council tax reduction scheme must be make to the council in whose area you live.

If you have any queries and would like to speak to us directly our details are on the contact page

15 March 2012
Last Modified:
01 May 2014