- How Holborn Circus will look
Construction of the Holborn Circus highway work started 8 June 2013 and is expected to finish in Spring 2014. The junction layout is being simplified to make it safer for all road users. View the new Holborn Circus layout (1MB).
The Holborn Circus construction phasing plan (1MB) shows when we will be working at each location.
No vehicular access from St Andrew Street to Holborn Circus until Spring 2014. There is a diversion route.
View the .St Andrew Street diversion route plan (1MB). Vehicles will still be able to travel from Holborn Circus to St Andrew Street throughout construction.
Temporary removal of the Prince Consort statue
Watch our video showing how the Prince Consort is being restored to his former glory including the replacement of his long lost sword
We are still on track to complete the four main phases in Spring 2014:
- Phase 1 Preparatory Work: 8 June – 14 July 2013 (completed)
- Phase 2 Major Scheme: 22 July - November 2013 (completed)
- Phase 3 Major Scheme: November 2013 - April 2014
- Phase 4 Carriageway Resurfacing: 27 February – 31 March 2014
Improvements to the junction
Holborn Circus is an accident hotspot and the City of London in partnership with the London Borough of Camden and Transport for London (TfL), have been working on improving the layout.
The work is substantially funded by TfL and is being constructed by the City's contractor JB Riney.
- New signal controlled pedestrian crossings at all crossing points with the exception of Hatton Garden
- Dedicated road space for cyclists
- A new inset loading bay on the Holborn approach to Holborn Circus
- A new public space at the front of St Andrew's Church
- Realigning St Andrew Street to join New Fetter Lane
- Hatton Garden will northbound only at the junction with Holborn Circus
- A shared use pedestrian/cycle facility on Hatton Garden's eastern footway
- The Grade 2 listed Prince Consort statue will be relocated
- The carriageway for the whole junction will be resurfaced
- The footway material will be upgraded
Sign up for the regular e-bulletins by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For specific construction queries contact JB Riney’s Public Liaison Officer Chris Jackman on 07720 092479 or email him at email@example.com
Follow us on Twitter at “@squarehighways".