- How Holborn Circus will look
Construction of the Holborn Circus highway work started 8 June 2013 and is expected to finish in Spring 2014. The junction layout is being simplified to make it safer for all road users. View the new Holborn Circus layout (1mb). Phase 3 will commence on 9 November 2013.
The Holborn Circus construction phasing plan (1mb) shows when we will be working at each location.
No vehicular access between Holborn Circus and Hatton Garden 9 November 2013 to 22 December 2013
From 9 November 2013 to 22 December 2013 there will be no vehicular access between Holborn Circus and Hatton Garden. Signed diversion routes will be in place. View the Hatton Garden diversion route plan (1mb). Pedestrian access will be maintained.
When Hatton Garden re-opens in December 2013, access will be in one direction only from Holborn Circus to Hatton Garden. There will also be no right hand turn permitted from Charterhouse Street into Hatton Garden.
No vehicular access from St Andrew Street to Holborn Circus until Spring 2014
Until the completion of the work in Spring 2014, there is no vehicular access from St Andrew Street to Holborn Circus. A signed diversion route is in place. View the St Andrew Street diversion route plan (1mb). Vehicles will still be able to travel from Holborn Circus to St Andrew Street throughout construction.
Temporary removal of the Prince Consort statue
The Prince Consort statue has been taken away from Holborn Circus to be restored off site. It will be returned to Holborn Circus in the New Year.
We are still on track to complete the four main phases in Spring 2014:
- Phase 1 Preparatory Work: 8 June – 14 July 2013 (completed)
- Phase 2 Major Scheme: 22 July - November 2013
- Phase 3 Major Scheme: November 2013 - Spring 2014
- Phase 4 Carriageway Resurfacing: February – Spring 2014
Improvements to the junction
Holborn Circus is an accident hotspot and the City of London in partnership with the London Borough of Camden and Transport for London (TfL), have been working on improving the layout.
The work is substantially funded by TfL and is being constructed by the City's contractor JB Riney.
- New signal controlled pedestrian crossings at all crossing points with the exception of Hatton Garden
- Dedicated road space for cyclists
- A new inset loading bay on the Holborn approach to Holborn Circus
- A new public space at the front of St Andrew's Church
- Realigning St Andrew Street to join New Fetter Lane
- Hatton Garden will northbound only at the junction with Holborn Circus
- A shared use pedestrian/cycle facility on Hatton Garden's eastern footway
- The Grade 2 listed Prince Consort statue will be relocated
- The carriageway for the whole junction will be resurfaced
- The footway material will be upgraded
Sign up for the regular e-bulletins by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For specific construction queries contact JB Riney’s Public Liaison Officer Chris Jackman on 07720 092479 or email him at email@example.com
Follow us on Twitter at “@squarehighways".