Page from the London Gazette, Monday September 3 to Monday September 10, 1666.
Guildhall Library holds a number of newspapers in hard copy and/or on microfilm:
City Press, the local newspaper for the City of London, 1857-1976,
The Times (1785 to date)
Financial Times (1888 to date),
Evening Standard, 1977-1980 and 1994 to date,
London Gazette, the newspaper of state intelligence, 1665 to date.
The Graphic, 1869-1931
Daily Graphic, 1890-1919
Post and British Chronicle, 1757-1808
London chronicle, 1757-April 1823
St James’s Chronicle, 1761-1836 (incomplete run)
We hold a number of short runs of certain titles, including a collection of newspapers produced during the General Strike of 1926 and various political news sheets printed during the English Civil War and Commonwealth period.
A complete list of newspaper holdings can be consulted at the Guildhall Library enquiry desk.
In addition, we subscribe to the following digitised newspapers:
- 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers, predominantly London newspapers of the 17th and 18th centuries.
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers, which includes national and regional newspapers.
- Daily Mirror Digital Archive 1903 to date
- The Financial Times Historical Archive 1888-2006
- The Illustrated London News 1842-2003
- Picture Post Historical Archive 1938-1957
- Times Digital Archive 1785-2006
And the following digitised newspaper indexes:
- British Humanities Index Archive 1962-1997
- The Official Index to The Times 1906-1980
- Palmers Index to The Times 1790-1905