Guildhall Library holds a number of newspapers in hard copy and/or on microfilm.
We hold the City Press, the local newspaper for the City of London, 1857-1976, complete runs of both The Times (1785 to date) and the Financial Times (1888 to date), the Evening Standard, 1977-1980 and 1994 to date, and the London Gazette, the newspaper of state intelligence, 1665 to date.
We hold the national newspapers The Guardian and the Daily Telegraph for the past year only.
Other useful newspaper holdings include The Graphic, 1869-1931, the Daily Graphic, 1890-1919, Lloyd’s Evening Post and British Chronicle, 1757-1808, the London chronicle, 1757-April 1823, and the St James’s Chronicle, 1761-1836 (incomplete run).
We hold a number of short runs of certain titles, including a collection of newspapers produced during the General Strike of 1926 and various political news sheets printed during the English Civil War and Commonwealth period.
A complete list of newspaper holdings can be consulted at the Guildhall Library enquiry desk.
In addition, Guildhall Library subscribes to the following digitised newspapers:
- 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers, predominantly London newspapers of the 17th and 18th centuries.
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers, which includes national and regional newspapers.
- Daily Mirror Digital Archive 1903 to date
- The Financial Times Historical Archive 1888-2006
- The Illustrated London News 1842-2003
- Picture Post Historical Archive 1938-1957
- Times Digital Archive 1785-2006
And the following digitised newspaper indexes:
- British Humanities Index Archive 1962-1997
- The Official Index to The Times 1906-1980
- Palmers Index to The Times 1790-1905