Skip to main content  
 
 

 

Historic architecture

The City of London is the place from which the capital grew - so it's no surprise that you'll find some of London's most historic buildings here. As you wander around you're likely to see bits of Roman Wall and you can even visit the remains of London's only Roman amphitheatre. Don't miss seeing the majestic trio of the Mansion House, Royal Exchange and the Bank of England at Bank junction - and be sure to pay a visit to the Gothic-looking Guildhall (guided tours take place each month). Browse our listings below for must-see buildings.

Why not take a guided tour of the Square Mile and hear about the City's history?

Showing 1-10 of 13 results Show all
Previous
Next
  1. Bank of England Bank of England
    Over the centuries, eight architects have developed the Bank into this imposing structure, which has come to represent the centre of the UK's financial system. 14,164m², George Sampson (1732-4); Sir Robert Taylor (1765-88); Sir John Soane (1788-1827); Sir Herbert Baker (1921-39). Bank, EC2R 8AH.
  2. goldsmiths hall Goldsmiths' Hall
    Home to the Goldsmiths' Company, this hall is the third on this site. Little is known of the first hall but the second was erected in 1634-6 and restored after the Great Fire of 1666. It lasted for almost two centuries, but was demolished in the late 1820s. The present Hall, by Philip Hardwick, remains much as he designed it.
  3. Guildhall Guildhall
    Little is known of the original London Guildhall but the Gothic building still standing today was begun in 1411 and, having survived both the Great Fire of London and the Blitz, is the only secular stone structure dating from before 1666 still standing in the City. 46.3 x 15m (Great Hall), Sir Horace Jones (restoration 1866), 1411. EC2V 5AE.
  4. Leadenhall Market Leadenhall Market
    One of the finest examples of a Victorian marketplace in the capital Leadenhall is a popular destination for tourists and City workers alike. In 1991 the market was extensively restored and painted in rich colours, with roof panels painted blue with gold stars. 4,800m², Sir Horace Jones, 1881. Gracechurch Street, EC3V 1LR.
  5. Roman Amphitheatre London’s Roman Amphitheatre
    In 1988 archaeologists unearthed the capital's only Roman amphitheatre in Guildhall Yard. The excavations uncovered a number of well-preserved timber and wattle buildings, probably domestic houses, animal byres and small workshops. Open to visitors of the Guildhall Art Gallery. AD 70 (remodelled early 2nd century). EC2V 5AE.
  6. Mansion House Mansion House
    Home of the Lord Mayor of the City of London and a rare surviving Georgian town palace in London. Imposingly Palladian in style, it is faced by a grand temple portico made from Portland stone, approached by flights of steps each side. George Dance the Elder, 1752. Bank, EC4N 8BH.
  7. Monument Monument
    Monument is the tallest isolated stone column in the world, with a total of 345 steps. It was built between 1671 and 1677 to commemorate the Great Fire of London and stands at 61 metres high – the exact distance between the site and the place in Pudding Lane where the fire began. Sir Christopher Wren and Dr Robert Hooke, 1677. EC3R 8AH.
  8. Old Bailey Old Bailey
    London's Central Criminal Court, universally known as the Old Bailey, has been the capital's principal criminal court for centuries. The current neo-Baroque building of 1907, is topped by a 12ft gold leaf statue of a ‘lady of justice’ holding a sword in one hand and the scales of justice in the other. E. W. Mountford, 1907. EC4M 7EH.
  9. prince henry's room Prince Henry's Room
    Currently closed to the public, this room (owned by the City Corporation since 1969) in a 17th-century building on Fleet Street features one of the best remaining Jacobian enriched plaster ceilings in London. It has two 20th century stained glass windows facing onto Fleet Street.
  10. Royal Exchange Royal Exchange
    Destroyed by fire in 1838, the Exchange was rebuilt with stately Corinthian pillars, true to the previous designs of Sir Thomas Gresham (1565) and Edward Jerman (1669). Originally a centre of commerce it is home to luxury shops and restaurants. Grade II listed. Sir William Tite, 1844. EC3V 3LR.
Showing 1-10 of 13 results Show all
Previous
Next

Notifications