The City Corporation is committed to delivering excellent customer service. We recognise the different needs of our customers and actively work to minimise potential issues of exclusion and discrimination. We aspire to be a leader in equality and inclusion, serving a wide range of communities including our staff, residents, businesses and the workforce of the Square Mile.
The City Corporation also aims to provide an inclusive, respectful and discrimination-free work environment for our staff. We will use best practice in employment in accordance with legislation to ensure that employees feel respected and able to give their best. As far as possible, we would like our workforce to be broadly representative of all sections of society.
Public Sector Equality Duty
The Public Sector Equality Duty came in to force in April 2011 (s.149 of the Equality Act 2010) and public authorities are now required, in carrying out their functions, to have due regard to the need to:
- eliminate discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct that is prohibited by or under the Equality Act 2010
- advance equality of opportunity between persons who share a relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it
- foster good relations between persons who share a relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it
As set out in the Equality Act 2010 (Specific Duties) Regulations 2011, the City Corporation is required to publish one or more specific and measurable Equality Objectives at least every four years.
The City Corporation’s Equality Objectives for 2016 – 2020 are
- Increase community engagement and improve cohesion within our communities so that people feel safe
- Support the City’s most disadvantaged groups and develop our understanding of our communities
- Improve the way we listen to our communities and respond to their feedback to improve our services
- Promote staff development and career progression to ensure equality of opportunity for promotion and the development of a workforce that reflects the make-up of our communities
Equal Opportunities Statement
The City of London Corporation has produced an Equal Opportunities Statement (78KB) which outlines our vision to build and support strong, sustainable and cohesive communities. This will be achieved by ensuring our policies, processes and employment procedures are inclusive.
2015 Annual Performance Summary
The City Corporation is also required to publish information to demonstrate its compliance with the Public Sector Equality Duty.
The Equality and Inclusion Annual Report (5MB) sets out how the City of London Corporation has worked to meet its obligations in service delivery and in employment under the Public Sector Equality Duty during 2015. The service delivery information covers activities planned or delivered across all departments during the period from January to December 2015 and the statistical data on employment relates to the period from April 2015 to March 2016, which links to our annual reporting cycle.
If you would like a summary of this publication in another language or in an alternative format such as Braille, large print or audio tape, please contact email@example.com
The City Corporation’s commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace