London EC4N 8BH
020 7626 2500
The Lord Mayor's office
The building is accessible to all. However much of the art collection is located on stairs. For details, call Mansion House.
Open for tours every Tuesday at 2pm. Tours can be cancelled at short notice. For details, call 020 7397 9306.
Home and office of the Lord Mayor
Mansion House is located in the heart of the City, above Bank tube station and on the site of a livestock market over the River Walbrook sharing a five-way junction with Royal Exchange, the Bank of England and Hawksmoor's St Mary Woolnoth.
Parking info and travel links
Map with entry points for accessibility and deliveries (2MB)
Nearest tube: Bank
About Mansion House
This unique building provides a spectacular setting for business meetings, civic and livery activity, and conferences.
Charitable and business related organisations also use Mansion House for fundraising events, receptions and dinners. A number of high profile events are held each year which provide a platform for cabinet ministers, visiting Heads of Government, and other prominent public figures. Some 50,000 people visit the Mansion House every year.
Today Mansion House is also home to a magnificent plate collection and an art collection including sculptures and the 84 Dutch paintings of the Harold Samuel Art Collection.
Mansion House in history
Until the mid-18th century, Lord Mayors used their own houses or livery halls for their work as head of the City's governmental, judicial and civic functions.
The idea of creating a permanent residence came after the Great Fire of 1666 to provide a house for Lord Mayors who did not have their own livery hall.
But it was almost three quarters of a century later that the architect and Clerk of the City's Work, George Dance the Elder, was chosen to design and build Mansion House. The first stone was laid in 1739 but it was not until 1752 that Lord Mayor Sir Crispin Gascoigne was able to take up residence there. Work was completed in 1758.
Imposingly Palladian in style, it is faced by a grand temple portico at the front approached by flights of steps each side. The entertaining rooms were built on the first and second floors. The first floor had a roofless courtyard (later covered to form the Salon, the entertainment space) and the great Egyptian Hall. The second floor has a ballroom and private apartments of the Lord Mayor and family. The third and fourth floors contain meeting rooms and staff rooms. The cellars have storage space and once held prisoners' cells, reflecting the former use of the Mansion House as the Lord Mayor's Court.
While the Mansion House retains much of its original character, there have been changes. Some 50 years later, two large roof pavilions were found to be unsafe. Dance's son, George Dance the Younger, removed one in 1795. The other was removed in 1846, and at the same time, the main entrance to the house was moved round the side, after various road works narrowed the esplanade up the steps at the front. There were refurbishments in the 1860s, and 1930s, and again in the early 90s.