Skip to main content  


Residential registration

Please find the notice of the publication of a revised electoral register here (145KB).

The City of London Corporation maintains two lists of voters for its residents:

The Ward List

  • The list of people able to vote in Ward elections for their local Alderman and Common Councilman. Registration for the Ward Lists is done during the annual canvass which takes place each autumn.

The Electoral Register

  • The list of people able to vote in national elections and referendums, including the London Mayor and Greater London Assembly (GLA).

During the canvass the Electoral Registration Officer reviews and updates the information contained in both the Ward Lists and the Electoral Register and to do this, forms are sent to each residential address.

Why you should register to vote in the City and how to do it

How do I register?

You can apply to be added to the Electoral Register at any time by completing the online form

Please note

In order to complete the new registration form you will need to provide your National Insurance Number. You can find this on your P60 given to you by your employer, a payslip, a copy of your annual Self Assessment tax return or any other official correspondence from HM Revenue & Customs.

You can find out your National Insurance Number or obtain one if you don't have one

New electors will be asked if they want to be included on the Open Register (previously the Edited register). This is the register that can be brought by any person, company or organisation.

Who can register?

All residents who live in the City of London who are citizens of Britain, the Republic of Ireland, the Commonwealth or European Union (EU) and are over the age of 16 are entitled to register.

  • Commonwealth citizens must have the right of abode or have leave to enter/remain in the UK.
  • Citizens of the EU (other than the UK, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus) may only vote in local government elections and in European Parliamentary elections if they complete an additional form.
  • 16 and 17 year olds may register but can only vote when they become 18.
  • Students living away from home may register to vote at both their term time and at their home address.

Download the Commonwealth British Overseas Territories and EU member states (40KB)

Why should I register?

Being able to vote gives you a say on important issues that affect you and your community - everything from roads and recycling, to education and climate change. You must be registered first to vote in elections, which can be called at short notice, so there may not be time to register later.

Your elected representatives make decisions that affect you. You can get in touch with your elected City of London Members – Aldermen and Common Councilmen - as well as your London, National and European representatives.

Being on the Electoral Register is also useful if you are applying for credit. Credit reference agencies use the Register as evidence of a person's address.

In addition, the law requires residents to register and failure to register when you have been sent an Invitation to Register form could result in a fine of £80.

Removals and amendments of your information

Electors can no longer be deleted from the Register simply as a result of their details being crossed through on a household form, or from a written request to remove them.

The law requires for the Electoral Registration Officer to verify any requests to remove an elector. This will be achieved by checking against Council Tax records. If this does not verify that the elector has moved then a letter will be sent to the elector at their registered address advising them that unless they confirm they are still there then they will be removed from the register – this could mean that letters will be sent to an elector at their address even if the occupiers have advised us that the person has moved out.

In cases where an elector has passed away then this should be advised in writing accompanied by a copy of the death certificate.

If someone re-registers at their new address their new local authority will pass this information directly to us and the elector will automatically be deleted from the Register.

In order to make an amendment to a name on the Register the Electoral Registration Officer must receive a change of name form (155KB) accompanied by evidence which can be in the form of a copy of a marriage or civil partnership certificate, deed poll or amended birth certificate.

Alternatively, electors can re-register online.​

The Full and Open registers

The electoral register

Lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections.

The register is used for electoral purposes – such as making sure only eligible people can vote – and for other limited purposes specified in law. The personal data in the register must always be processed in line with Data Protection legislation.

Who uses it?

  • Election staff, political parties, candidates and holders of elected office use the register for electoral purposes.
  • The City of London Corporation and the British Library hold copies that anyone can look at under supervision. A copy is also held by the Electoral Commission, the Boundary Commissions (which set constituency boundaries for most elections) and the Office for National Statistics.
  • The City of London Corporation can use the register for its statutory duties relating to security, enforcing the law and preventing crime. There is more information on the City of London’s fair data processing policy under National Fraud initiative.
  • The police and the security services can also use it for law enforcement.
  • The register is used to call people for jury service.
  • Government departments may buy the register from local registration officers and use it to help prevent and detect crime. They can also use it to safeguard national security by checking the background of job applicants and employees.
  • Credit-reference agencies can buy the register to help them check the names and addresses of people applying for credit. They also use it to carry out identity checks when trying to prevent and detect money laundering.

It is a criminal offence for anyone to supply or use the register for anything else.

The open register

Is an extract of the full electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. It is mainly used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. The personal data in the register must always be processed in line with Data Protection legislation.

Your name and address will be included in the open access register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the edited register would not affect your right to vote. The form that you complete to apply to register, and the annual registration form sent to your address, asks whether you wish to opt-out of the edited register.

Who uses it?

Users of the open register include:

  • businesses checking the identity and address details of people who apply for their services such as insurance, goods hire and property rental, as well as when they shop online
  • businesses selling age-restricted goods or services, such as alcohol and gambling online, to meet the rules on verifying the age of their customers
  • charities and voluntary agencies, for example to help maintain contact information for those who have chosen to donate bone marrow and to help people separated by adoption to find each other
  • charities, to help with fundraising and contacting people who have made donations
  • debt-collection agencies when tracing people who have changed address without telling their creditors
  • landlords and letting agents when checking the identity of potential tenants
  • local councils when identifying and contacting residents, for example when issuing residents parking permits and other local services which require evidence of residency
  • online directory firms to help users of the websites to find people, such as when reuniting friends and families
  • organisations tracing and identifying beneficiaries of wills, pensions and insurance policies
  • private-sector firms to verify details of job applicants

 Overseas electors

​People who have moved abroad within the last 15 years but used to be registered as a resident in the City of London, may register to vote as an overseas elector.

They will be entitled to vote in UK and European Parliamentary elections, but not at local elections. Registration must be renewed annually, but can be cancelled at any time.

To register as an overseas elector email the Electoral Services Team or see the About My Vote website

Service and Crown Servant voters

Crown Servants or British Council employees working outside of the UK, or the spouse/civil partner of one, may register by completing the appropriate form. This must be renewed every year but may be cancelled at any time.

To register as an overseas elector email the Electoral Services Team or see the About My Vote website.​

Declaration of Local Connection

​Homeless people may register to vote by completing the form. They should register at the address of a place where they spend a substantial part of their time, whether by day or night (or the address nearest that place).

Patients in mental hospitals may register by completing the form. Voluntary or detained patients (but not those detained for criminal activity) may register at the institution they are currently resident, or at the address at which they would be living or have previously lived.

Remand prisoners may register by completing the form. Remand (but not convicted) prisoners may register at the institution at which they are currently resident, or the address at which they would be living, or have previously lived.

All declarations of local connection must be renewed annually but may be cancelled at any time.

To request a Declaration of Local Connection form email the Electoral Services Team

Jury service

​If a person is over the age of 75 they are no longer eligible for jury service. On the voter registration form there is a box to be ticked informing us that you are over 75.