Skip to main content  


Residents annual canvass

Each autumn, the Electoral Registration Officer reviews and updates the information contained in both the Ward Lists and the Electoral Register.

Forms are sent to each residential address in August and residents are required to up-date the information for their address on the forms and return them. Non-responding addresses will be sent reminders and these will be followed up by personal canvassers making visits to the address.

A revised Electoral Register will be published on 1 December and a revised Ward List will be published on 16 February.

Registration forms

​Each address will receive a green Ward List registration form. These lists are updated once a year and applications to register are only made through these household registration forms. The forms will list those persons currently registered to vote on the Ward Lists at the address. Residents should update the information on the form by adding any eligible person who is missing from the form and crossing through anyone who is no longer resident or eligible to vote.

The Ward Lists are updated from the information provided on these household forms and the revised Ward Lists will come into force from the following 16 February and stay in force for the next 12 months.

Each address will receive also a white Household Enquiry Form which is for the Electoral Register. This is not a registration form as such – it is an information form so that the Electoral Registration Officer knows who should be registered in each address. Residents should add the name of any eligible resident who is not already listed on the form and cross through the name or anyone who is no longer resident or eligible to vote.

Anyone who is added to Household Enquiry Form will also need to individually register to vote. They will subsequently be sent an Invitation to Register Form and can then register by completing the form or by going online. A person must return their Household Enquiry Form even if they have already registered individually.

Both the forms must be returned even if there are no changes to the information shown on the forms or no one is eligible to vote at the address. The law requires these forms to be returned. Failure to do so could result in a fine of up to £1000. Knowingly providing false information could result in an unlimited fine and/or up to six months in prison.

Who should be included in the form

Qualification to be registered on the Electoral Register and the Ward Lists is based on residence at an address. A person is resident if the address is their permanent home. If a temporary resident does not have an alternative permanent residence, they may also be able to register.

Anyone living at the address

You should include anyone living at the address who is aged 16 or over and who is a British, Irish, Commonwealth or other European Union citizen. British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens registered on the Ward Lists are able to vote in Common Council and Aldermanic elections.

EU citizens will only be able to vote in Common Council elections on the Ward Lists, and for London Mayor and Greater London Assembly (GLA) elections on the Electoral Register.

Under 18

16 and 17 year olds should register but they will only be able to vote once they become 18.

Second home

A person with two homes who spends about the same amount of time in each can be lawfully registered at both addresses. Students may also register to vote at both their term time and home addresses. However it would be an offence to vote twice in the same election. Electors who are registered at two homes may vote in local elections for both addresses provided they are in different local government areas – so they may vote in local Council elections outside the City and also in Ward elections in the City.

Ownership of a second home where an individual pays council tax on it but does not reside there does not qualify them to be registered to vote. It is for the Electoral Registration Officer to decide, based on an individual’s circumstances, whether they may be said to be resident at an address, and therefore eligible for registration. If you are unsure whether you qualify to be registered, please contact Electoral Services for further advice.