Skip to main content  


​In addition to air quality and noise pollution, there are a number of other pollution related problems which the pollution team may be able to help with.

If you are looking for information on asbestos please view the asbestos page.

Private rented accomodation

Rented accommodation should be healthy and safe to live in. We might be able to help where there are housing conditions that are unhealthy or may cause a serious accident.

The Rogue Landlord and Agent Checker contains information about private landlords and letting agents who have been prosecuted or fined.

If you are a tenant

If the City of London is your landlord, or​ if you would like to be a tenant of City of London property, then please visit the housing page for details of all our housing services.

We may be able to help if you live in other rented accommodation where there are housing conditions that are unhealthy or may cause a serious accident. Sometimes a property is in disrepair, or may have defects like dampness, or could be very difficult to keep warm.

If you feel that there are problems, your first contact should be your landlord or letting agent. If they are unable or unwilling to help, we may be able to assist.

Similarly if you are experiencing problems with shared accommodation or require information about HMO (Houses in Multiple Occupation) licensing, please see the guidance on HMO standards (138KB) , or contact us on:

020 7606 3030, or email the Public protection Team.

The Housing Acts, Environmental Protection Act, Public Health Act, and Building Act are to help ensure that housing is safe and reasonable to occupy.

If you are a landlord

In the City of London, properties with five or more tenants belonging to two or more households are required by law to be licensed. Find out how to apply for an HMO licence.

A license will be granted if the following criteria are satisfied:

  • The proposed license holder (which can be the landlord or managing agent) are fit and proper people.
  • The property and the tenancy are managed appropriately.
  • The accommodation meets all the minimum standards, eg sufficient number of toilets, kitchens and bathrooms for the number of residents.

Licenses will be issued with certain conditions attached.

If after investigation of the details in the application form it is found that the premises falls outside the mandatory licensing provisions you will be notified and no charge made. If the premises falls within the mandatory licensing provisions a fee charged at full cost recovery (made payable to City of London Corporation) will be required.

It is a criminal offence to operate a house in multiple occupation without a licence and a fine of £20,000 may be imposed together with other measures allowed within the legislation.

Mandatory Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation Part 2, Housing Act 2004 – Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (Prescribed Descriptions) (England) Order 2006 legislation came into force on the 6 April 2006.

Guidance notes are available from GOV.UK.

To register your building or to report a complaint or problem, please call us on 020 7606 3030, or email the Public protection Team.

Water quality

​Environmental water quality is the responsibility of the UK Environment Agency. They are responsible for enforcing the standards for all controlled waters including rivers and lakes.

Water in spas and pools in the City of London are sampled on a project basis by our Health and Safety Team.

City of London public drinking water fountains are sampled to ensure compliance with microbiological standards laid down in The Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2010.

Drinking water quality is the responsibility of Thames Water Utilities Plc who monitor quality through a prescribed sampling programme; results are available on their web site enforcement for production and distribution is by the Drinking Water Inspectorate.

If you suspect that there is a problem with your drinking water supply then you should first contact your water supplier for them to investigate. If the matter is not resolved, then you can contact the Drinking Water Inspectorate at:

Drinking Water Inspectorate
Area 4a
Ergon House
Horseferry Road
London SW1P 2AL

Telephone: 030 0068 6400 or email the Drinking Water Inspectorate Team

Radiation monitoring

​Background levels of radiation are monitored in the City by the Pollution Team.

A radiation monitor continuously registers background levels at Walbrook Wharf and the data is available online at the Weatherprobe website.

For further information, please email the Public protection Team.

Report a stray dog

​Local authorities now have the sole responsibility for stray dogs under Section 68 of the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005 (CNEA).

City of London Police will investigate reports received of stray dogs in the City on behalf of the City of London Corporation.

To report a stray dog, call the City of London Police by dialling on 101, or 0207 600 2222.

Stray dogs can be taken to Bishopsgate police station 24 hours a day.

Any dog found in a public place, or private place where it should not be, which appears to be without its owner and not under the control of its owner or a person representing them, will be seized and detained as a stray dog by City of London Police.

City of London Police will make the necessary enquiries to find and contact the owner of stray dogs seized.

A seized dog will be detained for seven days from seizure, or where the owner is known, seven days from notification of seizure.

A stray dog which is dangerous in any way (for example ferocious, running in traffic) will be dealt with by the City of London Police.

Drainage problem

​If you are experiencing any problems such as odour or blockages relating to drainage then the Pollution Control Team may be able to help.

Please call 020 7606 3030 or email the Public Protection Team.

If you are experiencing odour problems in the highway relating to the sewer please contact:

Thames Water on 0845 9200 800

Light pollution

Light from artificial light sources can constitute a statutory nuisance if it interferes with someone’s use of their property or is prejudicial to health in the opinion of a public health professional from the Pollution Control Team. If you are concerned by your neighbours lighting you should speak to them about it in the first instance. Simple remedies such as re-aiming for screening could be agreed.

The Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has provided some guidance regarding the investigation of light nuisance. This is titled "Statutory Nuisance from Insects and Artificial Light - Guidance on Sections 101 to 103 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005".

Contaminated land

Part 2A sites

We are responsible for deciding what (if any) land qualifies as contaminated land in the Square Mile. No sites in the City of London have been classified as 'contaminated land' under Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Environmental information

The following information is available to search online under 'Environmental Information' using the City's interactive map:

  • Historic land uses
  • LAPPC Authorisations (3 dry cleaners)
  • Private Water Supplies 2014
  • War Damaged Sites

Planning applications and Contaminated Land Reports

The planning layer in the interactive map provides details of planning applications for given sites and contaminated land reports submitted as part of the planning process. All planning documents for specific sites can be viewed using the link in the interactive map or via the City's Planning Portal.

Pollution incidents, landfill sites and made ground

There are no records of current or former landfills within the City of London boundary. Notwithstanding this, areas of the City will have been made up of rubble and backfill in the past and made ground is known to exist across the City to varying depths. The Environment Agency website can be searched for details regarding landfill sites and pollution incidents.


Please see the following links with regard to the City's Strategic Flood Rick Assessment and Flood Risk.

Construction and deconstruction sites

It is expected that construction and deconstruction sites are aware of and manage the contaminated land risk associated with any site they are working on. The City's Code of Practice for Deconstruction and Construction Sites (1.6MB) provides more details, including informing the City if contamination is identified.

Kelly's Directory

The Kelly’s Directory was consulted for the years 1817, 1840, 1850, 1870 and 1890. Information relating to site use which may have led to site contamination was extracted. You can view the Kelly's Directory Search for the City of London (1.60MB) ; however, please note the comment regarding this information.

Complaints and notices

Should you require information relating to pollution notices for a given site, please email the Public Protection Team. Should you require information about complaints in general and pending prosecutions, please submit a Freedom of Information request by emailing the Directorate markets.

If you would like further or site specific information not available above, please call 020 7606 3030 or email the Public Protection Team.

City's Contaminated Land Strategy

Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Contaminated Land (England) Regulations 2000 provide the legislative framework for the management of contaminated land.

In order to fulfil the City of London's obligations under the legislation, the City of London published a Contaminated Land Strategy in 2001 (860KB) and a Review of the Contaminated Land Strategy in 2004 (20KB).

Download The City’s Contaminated Land Inspection Strategy 2015-2020 (1.2MB)