Skip to main content  


House to house collections

    collection tin

​If you want to collect money or goods (and you plan to sell these goods at a later date) for charity, by going from house to house or business within the City of London, you must first obtain a licence from the City of London Corporation. Some charities have a national exemption order and do not need to hold a licence. These exemption orders are issued by the Cabinet Office and the list of exempt charities can be viewed below

Guidance notes and information

Guidance notes for house to house collections (103KB)
House to House Collections Act 1939
View list of national exemption holders (99KB)

Apply for a licence

Download an application form for house to house collections (138KB)

Completed applications should be returned to:

City of London licensing team
Markets and Consumer Protection
PO Box 270
London EC2P 2EJ


A prescribed form of accounts must be submitted to the Licensing Section within three months of the collection date

House to house collections return form (121KB)
House to house collections sheet (84KB)

If you would like advice or assistance with an application or licence please contact the licensing team by phone on 020 7332 3406 or send an email to the Licensing Team.