Performance images by Camilla Greenwell.
This powerful and moving dance performance by Artistic Director and Choreographer Jeanefer Jean-Charles, is inspired by nineteenth century studio photographs of black men, women and children. Exploring a complex, but often forgotten black presence in pre-Windrush Britain, this performance calls attention to previously hidden figures and challenges historical and contemporary perceptions.
Presented in the resonant location of the Guildhall Yard, against the backdrop of London’s historic Guildhall, performances of Black Victorians will be accompanied by an outdoor exhibition of some of the original photographs.
A globally respected Creative Artist and Producer who has worked in over 21 countries, and whose accomplishments includes work on the London 2012 Olympics ceremonies.
Jeanefer Jean-Charles & Associates are industry leaders in developing, directing and delivering creative responses for large-scale events and offer ambitious, with innovative and empowering responses.
- Designer: Marsha Roddy
- Producer: Alison Holder
- Composer: Danilo DJ Walde
- Poet: Anthony Anaxagorou
- Rehearsal Director: Annie-Lunnette Deakin-Foster
- Writer: Hassan Mahamdallie
- Creative Consultant: Martha Stylianou
- Stage Manager: Cynthia Franklin
Creative Dance Artists
- Melissa Bravo
- Dani Harris-Walter
- Oluwaseun Olayiwola
- Nosiphiwo Samente
- Duja Sinada
The City of London Corporation is following national guidelines on COVID-19 to ensure our events are delivered safely.
Please read the guidance carefully so you know what to expect when visiting our events.
We ask that you:
- Stay with your group
- Keep your distance from others
- Do not obstruct walkways and allow people to pass with as much room as possible
- If you have any questions, our team is here to help. Please follow their instructions to unsure you have a safe and enjoyable visit.
When not to visit
Please do not visit us if you or a member of your household have any symptoms, have recently tested positive for COVID-19 or have been asked to isolate following a Test and Trace call.
The main symptoms of COVID-19 are:
- A new continuous cough
- A high temperature
- A loss of, or change in, your normal sense of smell or taste
We thank you for your assistance and ask you help us make it a success by following all guidance provide to you in advance or at the event.
We hope you enjoy the event.