Skip to main content  

  • Long-term adult social care
    On-going adult care

What help is available to let me stay in my own home?

Adult social care is about offering support to people who may otherwise have difficulties with normal daily tasks, from washing and cooking to socialising with friends and family.

Whether your situation is a result of disability, long-term illness or the effects of age as an older person, adult social care is designed to allow you to continue to live well and live independently for as long as possible.

To find out more about adult social care and arranging local care support for you or someone else, contact the Adult Social Care Team.

020 7332 1224 (9am-5pm, Monday to Friday)
Email: Adults Duty Team

Care assessment of your needs and eligibility

Services that may be available to you are based on your needs and eligibility. Please contact our Adult Social Care Team to arrange your FREE assessment with a trained social worker.

Your needs assessment will consider:

  • how your needs affect your day to day life
  • your mental and physical health and wellbeing
  • what things are important to you in how you live your life, such as being able work or volunteer, or being able to meet friends.

Your assessment will determine your level of need and assign a social worker and a personal budget.

Will I have pay towards my care?

Many people are expected to contribute towards the cost of their care and support although there are some exceptions:

  • Re-ablement (is not chargeable for up to 6 weeks) This service is where support is provided initially to try and assist in helping people back to independence.
  • Aids, and minor adaptions of less than £1,000 are not charged for
  •  Care and support provided to people with Cruetzfeldt-jakob disease (CJD) is not charged for
  • Aftercare / support provided under the Mental Health Act 1983 section117 are not charged for
  • NHS including continuing healthcare (CHC) Services are not chargeable.

The amount you pay will depend on your financial circumstances and will be decided following a financial assessment. Download information on financial assessments and contributions (36KB)

However, you may want to arrange your own services and not be assessed. If so, we can give you advice about this, please contact our Adult Social Care Team.

Or you might want to go straight to arranging your own support (including arranging to purchase your own items of equipment) using the Adult directory of support.

Remember that anyone is entitled to some advice and information from adult social care but you can check your potential eligibility for a service as per above.

Other free advice and guidance

If you’re not eligible for care through the Adult Social Care Team, we can still offer those living within the City free advice and guidance, enabling them to access a number of voluntary services that provide support to adults in the community.

These can be found on the FYi Directory.

City Advice Service

City Advice provides advice and information on a range of topics, including housing, welfare benefits, debt, employment and family issues. You can contact them on 020 7392 2919.

NHS Choices

NHS Choices website covers most health conditions and gives you advice on where to get help for these. You can telephone 111 if you have a non-medical emergency and want some advice or contact your GP.

Eligibility criteria

The criteria we use for determining who is eligible to access care and support are set out in the Care Act 2014. These are national guidelines which aim to help people meet their needs to achieve the outcomes that matter to them in their lives and which in turn promote their wellbeing.

The national eligibility criteria require that in order for needs to be eligible, they must relate to the following three conditions:

1. The adult's needs for care and support arise from or are related to a physical or mental impairment or illness and are not caused by other circumstantial factors. This includes if the person has a condition as a result of physical, mental, sensory, learning or cognitive disabilities or illnesses, substance misuse or brain injury.  The adult's needs for care and support arise from or are related to a physical or mental impairment or illness and are not caused by other circumstantial factors. This includes if the person has a condition as a result of physical, mental, sensory, learning or cognitive disabilities or illnesses, substance misuse or brain injury.

2. As a result of the adult's needs, the adult is unable to achieve two or more of the following eligibility outcomes:    

  • Managing and maintaining nutrition
  • Maintaining personal hygiene
  • Managing toilet needs
  • Being appropriately clothed
  • Being able to make use of the adult's home safely
  • Maintaining a habitable home environment
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport, and recreational facilities or services
  • Carrying out any caring responsibilities for a child

3. As a consequence of being unable to achieve these outcomes, there is, or is likely to be, a significant impact on the adult's wellbeing. As a consequence of being unable to achieve these outcomes, there is, or is likely to be, a significant impact on the adult's wellbeing.

There is no single definition of wellbeing as this will depend on the individual, their circumstances and their priorities but it is related to the following areas in particular:

  • Personal dignity
  • Physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
  • Protection from abuse and neglect
  • Control by the individual over their day-to-day life
  • Participation in work, education, training or recreation
  • Social and economic wellbeing
  • Domestic, family and personal domains
  • Suitability of the individual's living accommodation
  • The individual's contribution to society


​If you are having problems managing at home or are going into hospital and need support on discharge you can speak to the adult social care team about your options.

Short Term Support

​They may refer you to the re-ablement team. This team can provide up to six weeks short term home care support in your home which is FREE. The team can also provide equipment to help you at home and reduce falls such as a bath rail or larger adaptations if you are eligible for these, pending an Occupational Therapy assessment.

The re-ablement team can come into your home and support you as necessary with personal care and can give you advice on getting back your independence.


Long Term Support

​Following a period of re-ablement you might need home care on a longer term basis. If you wish to go straight to arranging this privately yourself you can look at home care providers in the adult social care directory or more generally on the internet. The Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspect home care agencies that provide personal care (such as help with washing and dressing) and you can look at the CQC tips and reports on providers.

If you want advice with finding care the adult social care team will carry out an assessment with you to determine your needs and how these might be met. The result of the needs assessment determines your eligibility for care, plus what level of services you require to enjoy the best possible quality of life.

Direct Payment Guide

​Direct payments enable more flexibility, choice and control in how your care and support is delivered by allowing you to receive payments instead of care services.

If you have been assessed as having eligible care and support needs then it is likely you are eligible for a direct payment providing your needs can be met via a direct payment and you (or someone acting on your behalf) are willing and capable of managing the direct payment.

Direct Payments can be paid directly to you (or to your nominated representative) but must be in a separate bank account used only for the direct payment.

Alternatively, it can be paid to the City of London’s Direct Payment Service to manage on your behalf.

What Direct Payments can be used for

Direct Payments can be used to pay for support that meets the outcomes agreed within your Individual Support Plan.

Depending on your individual assessed support needs this could include attending an educational course, joining a local club or gym, buying services from a private care agency, or employing a Personal Assistant to provide support (although this cannot normally be family members who live with you). If you choose to employ a member of staff to provide you with personal care, the City of London Corporation can signpost you to a payroll provider whose costs will be factored into your budget.

The support, services and/or equipment you buy with the direct payment must be legal and safe. They cannot be used to pay household bills, for food, or for things that would normally be provided by someone else e.g. Health Services.

Monitoring Your Direct Payment

Your support plan including your direct payment will be reviewed annually (sometimes more often) to ensure it remains the best way to meet your needs.

If you are managing your own direct payment you will need to keep your receipts and bank statements from the separate direct payment bank account that you set up. You can be asked for these at any time in order for us to complete a full check of how the payment is being managed. If your direct payment is managed by the Direct Payment Service, then they will usually do this for you.

Ending your Direct payment

Your direct payment may end for a number of reasons including the following:

  • You are no longer eligible for or no longer wish to receive adult social care support
  • You no longer wish to have your support provided by a direct payment
  • You are moving into a residential care home
  • Your needs are no longer able to be met by the direct payment
  • You or your representative are unable to effectively manage the payment, in such cases you may be offered the option of it being managed by the Direct Payment Service.