Skip to main content  


Making changes to your property on the Barbican Estate?

Then you will need to make an application for Landlord's Approval.

As the Barbican Estate is statutorily listed for its architectural and historic interest, this means that proposed alterations may also need listed building consent.

Listed building management guidelines

To assist residents in understanding the listing of the estate, and to explain what works will need listed building consent and the types of alterations that are likely or unlikely to be approved, the City Corporation has prepared listed building management guidelines.

Landlords approval for your home improvements

If you have just purchased your property, please do not make an application to the Barbican Estate Office until the assignment of transfer has been registered at our legal department.

Download the Home Improvements Pack 2019 (612KB)​

Application in writing or via email to the Barbican Estate Team to the Barbican Estate Office marked for the attention of your House Office with the following:

  • any plans/drawings/specification for the alterations
  • details for the contractor and a daytime contact number
  • a daytime contact number for the long leaseholder
  • required signed declaration of compliance (in the Standard Conditions for Proposed Works and Alterations on the Barbican Estate)
  • signed forms in the Standard Conditions document (if the Garchey/ventilation is being altered)
  • a copy of your contractor's Waste Carrier Licence should also be attached with the application


If asbestos is being disturbed, be it tested, removed or encapsulated, your contractor should supply a copy of a Hazardous Waste Carrier Licence and to associated paperwork to ensure that this is being dealt with in line with the Health and Safety Executive Standards.

As a rough guide, view the Asbestos in all blocks (260KB) for some of the locations where asbestos containing materials have been located in the past. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.

Retrospective landlord's approval

If you do not have paperwork for Landlord's Approval for alterations previously completed at your property, you should make an application retrospectively.

  • Apply to your House Officer
  • Outline (as far as possible) the changes that were completed (photographs may assist).
  • If the Garchey system has been altered, complete Garchey form (in the Standard Conditions for Proposed Work and Alterations on the Barbican Estate) to arrange for the relevant inspection to be completed.
  • If the ventilation system has been altered, then you should enclose the ventilation form (in the Standard Conditions for Proposed Work and Alterations) to arrange for the relevant inspection to be completed.
  • Enclose the relevant fee for Retrospective Landlord's Approval.
  • Arrange to leave access to inspect the changes (key permission is preferable).

It is for the owner or their representative to check to see if in fact the completed alterations required the approval of another Department. ​

20 March 2012
Last Modified:
24 October 2019
Sarah Styles