The Early Help service works with children, young people and families where there are indicators of emerging difficulties or additional needs. These needs can include anything that affects the health, development, wellbeing and safety of children and young people, for example:
- Families with significant housing needs
- Families where a parent/carer is experiencing mental health difficulties
- Children with Special Educational Needs such as Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Children and young people experiencing stress and anxiety
- Children and young people living with conduct and behaviour disorders
- Children who have a caring role for another member of their family (young carers)
Early Help typically offers a range of support services tailored to individual circumstances and needs. Some common services include:
- Advice and advocacy
- Signposting to universal or specialist services
- One-to-one practical and emotional support for children, young people or parents
- Play therapies and direct work with children
- Parenting support
- Short breaks for children with additional needs and for young carers
The Early Help model encourages collaboration between those providing the services and the people using them. We support children, young people and their families to play a key role in prioritising positive change and in shaping their own plan with the aim of improving outcomes and avoiding crises.
If you would like to find out more about our Early Help services or think you would like to make a referral for your family, please contact the Children and Families Team.
- Phone 020 7332 3621 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm)
- After hours please phone Hackney Emergency Duty Team on 020 8356 2710
- Or email the Children and Families team
This Early Help Strategy has been developed in conjunction with the City of London’s Early Help Sub-group and approved by the City of London Children’s Partnership Board (CPB). This document will outline how the City of London, in coordination with its partner agencies and wider community stakeholders, intends to implement its Early Help offer.
You can download this Early Help poster to keep or distribute.
The Early Help service can help with a range of issues or questions. You can download this leaflet to keep or distribute.