Skip to content
Date created: 6/29/2020

From 4 January, a national lock down is in place, otherwise called Stay at Home.

Find out more about the national lock down, read the Stay at Home rules (available in other languages and formats) on the Government website.

In summary, you must now stay at home, and only leave your home for specific reasons, such as:

  • shopping for essential items and medicine
  • to travel to work, but only if you can’t work from home
  • to seek medical help, get tested or get vaccinated
  • to escape domestic abuse

Letter to Residents of the City of London PDF (250KB)

Date submitted: 1/13/21

This joint letter from the Lord Mayor of the City of London William Russell and Policy Chair Catherine McGuinness about the national lockdown has been posted to all residents living in the City of London.

Stay home, protect the NHS and save lives.

If you are a City of London Corporation resident, are self-isolating and you require assistance, contact us by filling in the COVID-19 form, by emailing the COVID-19 mailbox, or by calling 020 7606 3030. The mailbox is treated with confidentiality.

After clean water, vaccines are the most effective Public Health intervention ever and have saved countless lives around the world over the past centuries.

Several COVID-19 vaccines are being developed, and there are now currently two available on the NHS that have been approved and tested to ensure they’re safe and effective. FAQs on the Vaccine can be accessed on the East London Health and Care Partnership website.

The vaccine is currently offered to people who are most at risk from coronavirus, before being offered more widely. The order of priority for the vaccine at the moment is as follows:

  1. Care home residents and staff
  2. 80+ and health and social care workers
  3. 75+
  4. 70+ and 'clinically extremely vulnerable'
  5. 65+
  6. 'At risk' groups
  7. 60+
  8. 55+
  9. 50+

Some people are concerned about the effectiveness and legitimacy of the vaccine and are using non-scientific opinions to influence others, which is likely to have an impact on the number of people who take up the vaccine when it becomes widely available. As such, we’re looking to carry out some research for residents in the City of London to gather insight to inform our local public health campaigns. We would appreciate your feedback on the COVID-19 vaccine and whether you and/or members of your family are likely to get the vaccine once is it widely available through the NHS. The short survey should take about five minutes of your time to complete.

Anyone of any age who has symptoms of COVID-19 should get tested for Coronavirus. The test only checks if you have Coronavirus at that point and involves taking a swab of the throat and nose. You can do the swab yourself or someone can do it for you.

The symptoms are:

  • a new, continuous cough and/ or
  • a high temperature and/ or
  • a loss or change in normal sense of smell or taste

You can only get a test if you have Coronavirus symptoms or have been asked to get tested through the test and trace process.

Information about rapid community testing (also known as lateral flow asymptomatic testing) can be found on the Government website.

Anyone who has symptoms of COVID-19 should continue to use the existing testing system. Booking a test is quick and easy, and five testing sites are now based in the City of London and Hackney, including one at Guildhall Yard, as well as sites across London.

More information about booking a COVID-19 test can be found on the Government website, or you can call 119.

If you need help booking a test, call the Coronavirus Testing Call Centre on 119 between the hours of 7am and 11pm. The service can be accessed by people with hearing or speech difficulties by calling 18001 119 (in England and Wales).

Please note that the Call Centre cannot provide clinical advice. If you are concerned about your health and wellbeing following your test result, or if your condition gets worse, or does not get better after seven days, use the NHS 111 online Coronavirus service or call NHS 111. For a medical emergency dial 999.

If you have been in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19, you may be alerted by NHS Test and Trace. You and others in your household/ support bubble will need to self-isolate, following Government guidance about household isolation. Information on isolation periods can be found on the NHS website. You will need to book a test if you develop symptoms.

The new NHS COVID-19 app is the Official NHS contact tracing app for England and Wales. It is the fastest way of knowing when you’re at risk from Coronavirus.

The quicker you know, the quicker you can alert your loved ones, and your community. The more of us that use it, the better we can control Coronavirus.

Visit the NHS COVID-19 app webpage to download.

You can access Government information on Test and Trace in other languages. You can also access guidance if you have had contact with people with confirmed COVID-19 infection that you don't live with (this is available in other languages).

Read our COVID-19 Advice for Vulnerable Residents for the latest information on the Clinically Extremely Vulnerable.

Wearing a face covering

For members of the public, face coverings should be worn in:

  • transport hubs and public transport including taxis and private hire vehicles 
  • shops and supermarkets
  • high-street services such as post offices, banks and building societies
  • places of worship

The full list of places to wear a face covering can be found on the Government website.

Some people will be exempt from these rules including:

  • children under the age of 11 (Public Health England does not recommend face coverings for children under the age of three for health and safety reasons)
  • people who cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability
  • where putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause you severe distress
  • if you are speaking to or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading, clear sound or facial expressions to communicate
  • to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to yourself or others ‒ including if it would negatively impact on your ability to exercise or participate in a strenuous activity
  • police officers and other emergency workers, given that this may interfere with their ability to serve the public

You can see more face covering exemptions on the Government website.

How to put on a face covering

  • A cloth face covering should cover your mouth and nose while allowing you to breathe comfortably and should be secured to the head with ties or ear loops
  • You may also use a scarf, bandana, religious garment or hand-made cloth covering but these must securely fit round the side of the face
  • Wash your hands or use hand sanitiser before putting it on and after taking it off
  • Avoid wearing on your neck or forehead
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth at all times
  • Store used face coverings in a plastic bag until you have an opportunity to wash or dispose of them
  • You should wash a face covering regularly
  • Do not touch the front of the face covering, or the part of the face covering that has been in contact with your mouth and nose
  • Once removed, make sure you clean any surfaces the face covering has touched

For more information about how to wear on a face covering effectively, please visit the Government website.

This information is also available in other languages.

For the latest health advice, visit our COVID-19 Advice for Residents web page.

Further information

Getting NHS help when you need it PDF (200KB)

Date submitted: 7/07/20

Accessing health services for people with learning disabilities or autism.

Accessing health services - Easy Read PDF (3MB)

Date submitted: 7/07/20

Getting NHS help when you need it during the coronavirus outbreak