Skip to main content  
 
 

 

St Helen's Place Conservation Area [No. 20]

St Helen's Place is a planned enclave which is unusual in the City. The space is enclosed by imposing office buildings of the early 20th century. The frontage to Bishopsgate includes the 14th century church of St Ethelburga. ​

The St Helen's Place Conservation Area Character Summary (1MB) was published in 2000. This document identifies key characteristics of the area and particular planning considerations.

The boundary of this conservation area was adjusted as part of a general boundary review in 2007. It supersedes the boundary depicted in the above Character Summary. To view the current boundary, please visit the City's interactive map, selecting 'Conservation Areas' under the 'Conservation' tab.

History and character summary

  •  Two ancient churches, Great St Helen's and St Ethelburga, with fabric pre-dating the Great Fire of London (1666)
  • A planned enclave rarely found in the City that contrasts with the more evolutionary street forms elsewhere.
Published:
18 April 2012
Last Modified:
29 May 2019

Notifications