Skip to main content  


Localism and neighbourhood planning

You can use opportunities in the Localism Act 2011 to influence the future of your local area using initiatives such as neighbourhood planning, the community right to build and assets of community value.

Neighbourhood planning

A community group can seek to become a designated Neighbourhood Forum that can prepare a neighbourhood plan setting out a vision and planning policies for a neighbourhood area.

A Neighbourhood Forum needs to be inclusive and its purpose and membership should reflect the character of the area. A neighbourhood plan should focus on local matters and should be in general conformity with national policy and with the City's Local Plan.

For more information on neighbourhood planning visit the My Community website.

Neighbourhood planning procedures set out in legislation are quite complex. See details at the Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012

Interested groups are advised to firstly meet City Planners in order to discuss their intentions and practical details.

There are currently no neighbourhood forums or neighbourhood plans in the City.

Expressions of interest should be submitted to the Local Plan Team.

Community right to build

The Community Right to Build is an enabling right allowing local community organisations to undertake small-scale development in their area using a local Community Right to Build Order instead of following the usual planning application process. Making an Order is subject to consultation, examination and a local referendum before it can take effect.

For more information visit the My Community website.

There are currently no such Orders in the City. Expressions of interest should be submitted to the Local Plan Team.

Assets of community value

Local voluntary or community organisations can nominate a building or piece of land to be included on the City Corporation's list of 'assets of community value'.

Nominations must relate to land or buildings that currently, or in the recent past, further the social wellbeing or social interests of the local community.

If designated, an asset of community value cannot be sold without first providing the local community with the opportunity to bid for the land or building.

For more information visit the My Community website.

Nominations for assets of community value should meet the guidelines adopted by the City Corporation for determining nominations:

Guidelines for determining nominations (95KB)​

The City Corporation publishes a list of the buildings and land in the City of London that have been designated as assets of community value:

Register of assets of community value (59KB)

On 5 January 2018, an appeal was heard against the desgination of the Still & Star public house, 1 Little Somerset Street, as an Asset of Community Value. Documents relating to this decision are available below:

Any comments, or expressions of interest for new nominations, should be sent to the Local Plan Team.

Self-build and custom housebuilding register

The City of London Corporation, pursuant to the Self-Build and Customer Housebuilding Act 2015, must keep a register of people interested in self-build and custom housebuilding within the City of London and consider that register in carrying out its planning, housing and property development functions.

What is self-build and custom housebuilding?

The Housing and Planning Bill 2015 defines self-build and custom housebuilding as the building or completion, by individuals, associations of individuals, or persons working with or for individuals or associations of individuals, of housing to be occupied as homes by these individuals.

Who can apply to be included on the register?

To be eligible individuals must be:

  • Aged 18 or over
  • A British Citizen, a national of a European Economic Area State, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • Seeking to acquire a serviced plot in the City of London to build a home to occupy as the individual's sole or main residence.

For associations of individuals, all members of the association must meet all of these criteria.

Application for inclusion in the register

If you would like to apply to be included on the City of London Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register, please complete the application form (50KB) and return it to:

Planning Policy Section
Department of the Built Environment
City of London Corporation
PO Box 270

Alternatively, email the form to the Plans Team.

For help with completing the form contact the Planning Policy Team at the above email address, or call 020 7332 7010.