Skip to main content  


Hazardous waste collection



The Hazardous Waste team is working from home so is unable to process postal applications. Please apply online and email the hazardous waste team  with any questions.

We operate a household hazardous waste collection and disposal service for residents on behalf of most of the London boroughs. We only collect wrapped asbestos and boxed chemicals including paint.


We do not collect these items

  • Fire extinguishers
  • Explosives including fireworks
  • Beds, sofas, fridges, washing machines etc. (phone your council to arrange a 'bulky waste' collection)
  • Electrical waste, e.g. computers, TVs
  • Clinical waste and sharps
  • Storage heaters
  • Japanese Knotweed
  • Garden/green waste
  • Radioactive waste
  • Cooking oil
  • Pressurised waste, eg aerosols, gas canisters
  • Lightbulbs and fluorescent tubes
  • Plasterboard and general building waste
  • Batteries
  • Polychlorinated biphenyl compounds (pcb's)
  • Flammable film stock


If you see flytipped waste, please report it to your local authority direct

Residents - how to arrange an asbestos collection

What we do

  • We provide one collection per rolling year from your home address.
  • We only collect asbestos sheets or pieces that have been wrapped individually. Broken up asbestos will only be taken in builders rubble bags.
  • We do not test, dismantle or wrap the asbestos for you.
  • We do not supply wrapping materials.

How to apply

Complete the online form or if you prefer a form in the post call us on 020 7332 3433.

We will need the following information when you complete the form or telephone us:

  • The name of the London borough you live in
  • Your full name, address and telephone number
  • The number of pieces and the size of each piece (in metres or centimetres) and/or
  • The number of rubble bags

Wrapping instructions

  • If the asbestos is in sizeable pieces, each piece must be individually wrapped in heavy duty plastic and completely sealed with a strong tape.
  • If the asbestos is rubble put the waste into builders rubble bags. Each bag needs to be easily lifted by one person and sealed with a strong tape.

Wrapping instructions and more information are on our asbestos information sheet (174KB)

Residents - how to arrange a chemical collection (including paint)

What we do

  • You are entitled to three collections per rolling year but not any two within 31 days. Once you have your first collection then re-apply for your next collection.
  • Each collection can be up to 50L in capacity. This is based on the size of the containers and not their contents.
  • Chemicals and paint tins must be put into boxes for collection.

How to apply

Complete the online form or if you prefer a form in the post call us ​ on 020 7332 3433.

We will need the following information when you complete the form or telephone us

  • The name of the London Borough you live in
  • Your full name, address and telephone number
  • The name of the chemicals
  • The number of containers
  • The size of each container

Packing instructions

  • The chemicals should be kept in their original containers and put into strong cardboard boxes
  • You can put several items into one box, but each box must be easily lifted by one person

Packing instructions and more information are on our chemical information sheet (172KB)

Landlords, charities, schools and businesses


We do not provide a collection of asbestos for landlords, charities or commercial waste. Our collection service is for domestic asbestos collection only and for the resident of the property where the collection is from. We ask for proof of recent Council Tax payments.


We can however provide a collection of paint and chemicals. A quote can be supplied on request. Please email the Hazardous Waste Team with a list of the items and the size of their containers together with the collection address.​

Charges and payment

The first 15sqm of asbestos or seven builders' rubble bags are collected free of charge, subsidised by your council. There is a charge for a collection over that this qantity, which is based on an individual quote dependent on the amount to be collected.

You should use the online form to calculate the charge for removing up to 30sqm and pay online by credit or debit card registered to the collection address although we can provide a quote and take payment by telephone on the number below.

If you have more than this quantity to be collected you need to telephone us on 020 7332 3433 for a quote. You can only pay over the telephone using a credit card registered to the collection address.

Payment must be made before the asbestos can be collected.

Paperwork and collection

We will post the paperwork to the address where the collection has been arranged from, with a receipt if a payment has been made. Please check the paperwork, sign and date and return to us. No collection can be arranged until this form has been completed and returned.

When we have your completed paperwork, we will let our contractors know that you need a collection. You will then be added to the collection waiting list. The service is very busy and it can take up to ten working days (from receiving your paperwork) for a collection to be arranged. Our contractor will phone you a few days before the collection date to let you know when the asbestos will be collected.

This is a specialist service and we cannot process your request until we have received all the paperwork, correctly completed. A delay in returning your paperwork will mean that you will wait longer for a collection.

The contractor divides the collections into areas of London so you will receive a collection when the contractor is next working in your area.

Links to other organisations for more information

The following organisations also have useful information on a variety of hazardous waste issues.