Skip to content
Date created: 11/04/2020
If you are a City of London Corporation resident, are self-isolating and you require assistance, contact us by filling in the COVID-19 form, by emailing the COVID-19 mailbox, or by calling 020 7606 3030. The mailbox is treated with confidentiality.

For the latest advice on COVID-19 and alert tiers visit the COVID-19 Latest Advice web page.

The City of London Corporation is working with the NHS, businesses and local voluntary sector organisations to support vulnerable residents and tenants throughout the pandemic, and is also working with partners to proactively support rough sleepers.

The Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine is safe and effective. It gives you the best protection against Coronavirus. Information regarding who can get the vaccine and how you will be informed when you can get it is on the NHS website.

If you have been identified as being Clinically Extremely Vulnerable you will have previously received a letter from the NHS or your GP. This information is also available in large print and other formats.

If you are clinically vulnerable, you could be at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus. Those who are clinically extremely vulnerable should not attend work, school, college or university, and limit the time you spend outside the home. You should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable to Coronavirus, due to a specific serious health condition, you are advised to:

  • Work from home. If you cannot work from home, you are advised not to go to work and may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA).
  • Stay at home as much as possible, but are encouraged to go outside for exercise.

Book a home kit

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you can book one at home COVID-19 test kit.

You can only get a free NHS test if at least one of the following applies:

  • you have a high temperature
  • you have a new, continuous cough
  • you’ve lost your sense of smell or taste or it’s changed
  • you’ve been asked to by a local council
  • you’re taking part in a government pilot project

You can also get a test for someone you live with/ care for if they have symptoms.


Taxicard is a scheme that provides subsidised travel for people who have a serious mobility impairment that makes using public transport difficult.

Taxicard holders make journeys in licensed London taxis and private hire vehicles, and the subsidy applies directly to each trip.

To apply for a Taxicard, you can call 020 7332 1224 and request an application or email the Contact Centre.

Alternatively, you can download an application form directly from London Taxicard.

Only essential journeys should be made during the COVID-19 lockdown.

TFL Dial-a-ride

If you are disabled and can't use public transport, Dial-a-Ride is a free, door-to-door service that is great for getting out and about.

This is a free service. However, to use this service you will need to become a member.

To find out more, including how to apply, visit the TFL website.

Only essential journeys should be made during the COVID-19 lockdown.

Keeping your independence

You may be eligible for an occupational therapy assessment.

The goal of occupational therapy is to improve your ability to complete everyday tasks and help you keep your independence.

The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists have put together videos and information to help support you and your family during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Healthy Start

Free Healthy Vitamins are available for pregnant people, new mothers up to their child’s first birthday and children aged under four years old, living or registered with a GP in City/Hackney at two City locations:

  • Chauhan S Chemist on Goswell Road (Golden Lane Estate, EC1M 7AA) - 020 7253 9691
  • The City of London Child and Family Centre (St James Passage, Dukes Place, EC3A 5DE)

For further information, visit the Henry website, email the Henry service, or call 075 1910 9876.

Coping with a diagnosis of cancer is difficult. For many, the Coronavirus is an extra concern and worry. Help and support is available and there are things you can do to help yourself.

The North East London Cancer Alliance have put together this video which explains the importance of screening and treatment for cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you are homeless or sleeping rough in the City of London, there is support available.

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak and social distancing measures in the UK, we encourage anyone seeking housing advice or homelessness services to contact us by email or phone in the first instance. We will not be offering appointments at the Guildhall until further notice.

If you can't find somewhere to live and require homelessness assistance, we will carry out a full housing assessment and discuss your current housing situation over the phone. We will arrange a suitable time to do this during normal working hours.

To arrange a phone assessment or for more information about making a homeless application and your housing options, please get in touch by emailing the Homelessness Team, or by phone 0207 332 1804.

City Advice

If you live or study in the City of London, or live on a City Corporation estate, you can access free, confidential and impartial advice on a range of issues, including debt and employment, through the City Advice service.

City Advice are qualified to advise on:

  • Consumer and employment rights
  • Welfare benefits
  • Debt
  • Housing and legal issues
  • Relationships
  • Health and wellbeing

City Advice can also refer you to the First Love Foundation (FLF) if you need help getting food.

FLF has been transforming the lives of people in neighbouring Tower Hamlets since 2010. They provide emergency food and high-quality advice and support to help people get back on their feet, and now they are helping those who live in the City of London.

If you currently reside in a City of London Corporation estate outside of the Square Mile, please use a local food bank provision in your home borough

  • Call City Advice, 10am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on 020 7392 2919
  • Email the City Advice Team

Speak with an advisor today to find out what help and support is available for you.

If you would like to volunteer to support FLF you can find out more on the First Love Foundation website.

You can also donate food or donate money to the FLF on their website.

Other support

Call NHS 111 (24/7) if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do.

City Wellbeing Centre offers virtual counselling and psychotherapy sessions to workers and residents in and around the Square Mile, whatever their financial circumstances, improving access to treatments that are not available through the NHS.

Dragon Cafe in the City welcomes anyone working or living in the Square Mile. It's a space where you can "release the pressure" of work, home or day-to-day life. Come along and take part in a range of free activities promoting mental wellbeing, or just to relax and meditate in the space.

Call Samaritans on 116 123 (24/7). Whatever you're going through, call Samaritans any time, from any phone. They are there round the clock and the number is free to call.

Call Silverline on 0800 470 8090 (24/7). The Silver Line is a free confidential helpline providing information, friendship and advice to older people, open 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

Call Gallop on 0800 999 5428. Gallop's National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline is continuing to operate as normal. They are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm and Wednesday to Thursday 10am-8pm to give advice and support for people who have experienced domestic abuse.

Bereavement Support

City Corporation residents can access free support for bereavement through St Joseph's Hospice (commissioned by City and Hackney Clinical Commissioning Group).

Contact the Hospice via the First Contact Team on 0300 303 0400 for referrals and 24/7 advice and support, or email St Josephs​.

For more information about bereavement support visit our Bereavement Support web page.

Help accessing services

City Connections link people to health and wellbeing services in the Square Mile.

They are here for all City Corporation residents and workers to help you find and access the support or information you need.

Some helpful resources

Dementia during COVID-19 PDF (1MB)

Date submitted: 7/07/20

City and Hackney Dementia Alliance

A guide to managing isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic. Including games, activities, health and wellbeing advice and helplines.

Supporting someone with Autism PDF (240KB)

Date submitted: 11/04/20

A helpful guide with advice on how to support someone with Autism from the East London NHS Foundation Trust.

Accessing health services - Easy Read PDF (3MB)

Date submitted: 7/07/20

Getting NHS help when you need it during the coronavirus outbreak