Skip to content
Date updated: 9/03/2021
If you are a City of London Corporation resident, are self-isolating and you require assistance, contact us by filling in the COVID-19 form, by emailing the COVID-19 mailbox, or by calling 020 7606 3030. The mailbox is treated with confidentiality.

For the latest advice on COVID-19 visit the COVID-19 Latest Advice web page.

For information regarding COVID-19 testing visit the COVID-19 Testing Information page.

Contact details for the Adult Social Care team

Telephone: 020 7332 1224
Email: Adults Duty Team

Our usual office hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Our emergency social work service responds in crisis situations at weekends and on bank holidays and after 5pm on weekdays. For urgent matters, outside of office hours call:

020 8356 2300

Or visit the City and Hackney Emergency Duty Team webpage for more information.

If you or a person you care for are unwell as a result of COVID-19 call NHS 111. In an emergency, always call 999.

If you regularly support someone with every-day tasks that they are unable to do for themselves, you are a carer, even if you may never have recognised yourself as such. If you are a carer and are not paid, you may be entitled to Carer's Allowance.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, many people are looking after family members or friends who may not be able to look after themselves anymore. Whether you were already caring for someone, or have taken on a new caring role, there is a range of help and support on offer from the Government, City of London Corporation and independent organisations and charities.

The pandemic has had an unprecedented effect on the way we live our lives and we recognise the truly remarkable role carers play in these difficult and uncertain times.

Carers of Adults

For adult carers of adults (over 18 years) the Adult Social Care team can support you with:

  • Carers Assessments, Support Plans and changes in your caring role
  • Information around Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Information on breaks from your caring role
  • Emergency Support
  • Regular welfare calls

City Connections

City Connections is a free service for all City Corporation residents and workers that helps you find and access the support or information you need. If you are an unpaid carer, they can help you find information about financial entitlements and other support.

City Advice

If you live or study in the City of London, or live on a City Corporation estate, you can access free, confidential and impartial advice on a range of issues, including debt and employment, through the City Advice service.

City Advice are qualified to advise on:

  • Consumer and employment rights
  • Welfare benefits
  • Debt
  • Housing and legal issues
  • Relationships
  • Health and wellbeing

Dragon Cafe in the City

The award-winning Dragon Café in the City is free and open to anyone working or living in the City and provides a space for you to release the pressure, take a break from your busy routines and engage in creative activities designed to foster positive mental and physical wellbeing.

Carers of Children and Young People

For information about accessing help with food, money and other essentials, visit our COVID-19 Help with Food and Money page.

If you, without payment, provide help and support to a parent, partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour who could not manage without your help, due to age, physical or mental health issues, substance misuse or disability. You are a carer.

Acknowledge you are a carer – it’s a first step that opens up doors to help.

Tell your GP you’re a carer – Your role will be recorded on your notes, you’ll get flexible appointments/text reminders and other help, like free vaccines.

Register with us. We can provide a whole range of support. Importantly we can tell you what help you’re entitled to, depending on your circumstances (such as benefits, or the right to a Carers Assessment). There’s more explanation of the full range of support available on our Carers web page, plus more on from the NHS.

Take care of your wellbeing. The better you feel the better you can care for others. Finding the time can be challenging but doesn't have to be impossible. There are plenty of things to do on the Our City Together website or you could attend one of the virtual Dragon Cafe in the City activities.

Visit the COVID-19 Advice for vulnerable residents web page for the latest advice on what to do if you care for someone that is Clinically Extremely Vulnerable to COVID-19.

If you require PPE in an emergency, you can contact PPE Requests and one of our officers will get back to you with advice about accessing PPE.

You can read up the latest on the COVID-19 vaccine on the COVID-19 Vaccine web page.

​As a carer you may benefit from the occasional break from your caring role. A carers' break can help you do this and is recommended.

Carers' breaks are likely to be in the home of the cared for person, or in some cases in a care home depending on the needs and wishes of the person you care for.

The Adult Social Care Team can talk this through with you and give you details of the options available and how this might be funded. They can also advise on how to access or plan for emergency care due to a sudden change in circumstance.

The needs of a carer will be discussed as part of a carers' assessment along with the need for any replacement or respite care.

Contact the Adult Social Care Team for information.

If you are a carer of Children and Young People or Adults it is important that whilst taking care of others, you take care of yourself. The free services below offer a wide breadth of support, knowledge and guidance to support you.