Skip to main content  

Contact us icon

The Housing Needs Team offer advice on housing options available to you based on your individual circumstances.

Call the Housing Needs Team on 0207 332 1237 / 3452 for advice.

If you wish to speak with us in person, please call and make an appointment so we can make sure that a member of staff is available to see you.

Need an interpreter?
We are also able to arrange telephone interpreters for you.​​​​

How the City of London prioritises applications

You must have a local connection to the City of London in order to apply to the Housing Register. Once listed on the Housing Register you are able to apply via Choice Based Lettings. Applicants can download an application form for the Housing Register or contact us for one to be sent to them by post or email, or they can collect from the Barbican Estate Office.

City of London connection

You have a connection to the City of London if you are:

  • living or working within the City of London 'Square Mile' for a minimum of 24 months and for more than 16 hours per week
  • an existing tenant of the City of London or the child of a City of London tenant who has always lived at home

The 'Square Mile' is the term used to define our local authority boundary.

Please check our boundary map or search your postcode online.

If you do not live or work within the City "Square Mile" you may be able to apply for the Housing Register if you have previously served in the UK armed forces.

If you live in social housing anywhere in the UK and have a definite offer of work in London – you may be eligible to apply to our Housing Register – we will offer 1% of our annual lettings to people in this category.

Reasons you may not apply to the Housing Register

You may not apply to be on our Housing Register if:

  • you are under 18 years of age. under 18 years of age.
  • you are subject to immigration control and do not have access to public funds.
  • you are not the child of a City of London tenant who has always lived at home.
  • you area homeowner or have financial interest in a property in the UK or abroad.a homeowner or have financial interest in a property in the UK or abroad.
  • your annual household income is more than £60,000 before tax.
  • your household has savings or capital of over £30,000.
  • you have previously exercised the Right To Buy on a City of London Property.

The City of London reserves the right not to accept applications from people whose tenancy has previously ended due to:

  • rent arrears
  • anti-social behaviour, such as noise nuisance, domestic violence, racial harassment, intimidation or drug dealing
  • any other social housing fraud offences
  • if you owe the City of London money

The demand for housing is far higher than the supply, which means that it is likely you will be waiting a number of years before you are rehoused.

Therefore you may need to find alternative accommodation while you wait in line for social housing.

How to apply

Housing Register application packs

Should you wish to register interest and apply to join the Housing Register, you can:

Contact the Housing Needs Team on 020 7332 1237/3452, email Housing Advice Team, or pick up an application pack in person:

Community and Children's Services Reception
Barbican Estate Office
3 Lauderdale Place
London EC2Y 8EN

Opening hours

  • Monday 9.15am - 5pm
  • Tuesday 9.15am - 5pm
  • Wednesday 9.15am - 5pm
  • Thursday 9.15am - 5pm
  • Friday 9.15am - 5pm

The Housing Needs office is closed to the public every Tuesday until 2pm.

If you need help to complete the form please contact us, we may be able to offer you this assistance over the phone. However, if you need more detailed assistance, we advise you to contact us to arrange an appointment so that the appropriate time and attention can be given to you.

06 October 2015
Last Modified:
16 August 2019