Massage and special treatment
If you provide massage and/or special treatments (MST) in the City of London, you may need a licence for your premises. Treatments include:
• light (such as sun beds)
• other baths
• other similar treatment
You will require a separate registration for acupuncture, tattooing, piercing or electrolysis (see PDF details below).
If you would like more advice or assistance with an application or licence please contact the licensing team by phone on 020 7332 3406 or send an email to the Licensing Team.
- Any person carrying on an establishment for massage or special treatment must apply for a licence to do so.
- An applicant may be an individual or a company. If applying on behalf of a company, the names and private addresses of the persons directly or indirectly responsible for the management of the company shall be provided.
- Applicants should be 21 years of age or older. The licensing authority may refuse to grant a licence to an applicant who is under 21 years of age.
Massage and special treatment licences in the City of London are issued under Part IV of the London County Council (General Powers) Act 1920.
Applications must be in the format specified by the City of London Corporation and shall be accompanied by the required fee.
As part of the evaluation process, the licensing authority may consult with other agencies such as the Council's health and safety team and/or the City of London police.
The licensing authority shall determine an application for a massage and special treatment licence as soon as reasonably practicable after the receipt of the application.
Matters that will be taken into consideration when determining an application are:
- the age of the applicant
- the suitability of the person applying for the licence
- the suitability of the premises to be used as an establishment for massage or special treatment
- the proper conduct at an establishment for massage or special treatment
- the qualifications or experience of any person administering massage or other curative treatment
- any contraventions of the part IV of the London County Council (General Powers) Act 1920 at the proposed establishment
Any licences granted are due for renewal on 1 April each year.
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.
If you have not heard from the licensing team within a reasonable period please contact us by phone on 020 7332 3406 or send an email to the Licensing Team
If an application is refused or an applicant is not satisfied with a condition attached to a massage or special treatment licence, they may appeal the licensing authority's decision.
Appeals are made to the City of London Magistrates Court, 1 Queen Victoria Street, London EC4N 4XY, within 14 days of receiving notification of the decision.