Local Plan review: Draft City Plan 2040
What is the City Plan 2040?
City Plan 2040 is a plan for the development of the Square Mile, setting the City Corporation's priorities for development up to 2040, together with policies that will guide future decisions on planning applications.
Once adopted, the new Plan will replace the Local Plan 2015.
City Plan 2040 preparatory stages
- Consultation in 2016 on key issues and potential options for a new local plan.
- Consultation during late 2018 and early 2019 on a draft City Plan 2036.
- Consultation in Spring 2021 on a proposed submission version of the City Plan 2036.
- Further evidence and revisions to the City Plan in 2022 and 2023, to address consultation responses and changing economic, social and environmental circumstances.
- Informal public engagement in Summer 2023 on key issues and the Key Areas of Change.
City Plan 2040 is being taken through committee approval between January and March 2024. The City Plan 2040 has been added to this page following Planning and Transportation Committee in January 2024.
- Spring/Summer 2024: Consultation on Revised Proposed Submission Draft City Plan 2040
- Autumn 2024: Submission to Secretary of State for examination by independent Planning Inspector
- Winter 2024: Anticipated examination hearing sessions
- Summer 2025: Anticipated adoption of the City Plan
The City Plan is supported by a comprehensive evidence base and assessments both on the Local Plan evidence webpage and in the Planning Policy Library.
Previous versions of the City Plan and supporting documents are available in the Planning Policy Library.