Skip to content
Date updated: 6/07/2023
For out of hours social care emergencies call the emergency duty team - 020 8356 8855 including weekends and Bank Holidays.

Mental health

If you are concerned about your own mental health, or you are worried about the mental health of a relative or someone you care for you should speak to a GP in the first instance who may refer you to mental health services if you need them. Our Mental Health and Wellbeing web page has a host of useful resources that you may be able to access. Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123 or see their website for other contact methods.

Mental health services in the City are provided by the NHS working with City of London Social Care and with support from voluntary and independent organisations. Specialist mental health services are provided by East London Foundation NHS Trust (ELFT)

They provide services for:

• eating disorders

• older people with mental illness

• alcohol and substance abuse

• early psychosis

The website offers a range of resources to help promote mental health and personal wellbeing. You may want to speak to the City of London adult social care team if you need things like support with help at home, getting around or housing.

NHS Choices has some good advice and information on medical issues.

Safeguarding / what to do if someone vulnerable needs urgent protection – in an emergency dial 999 and ask for the police. If the situation is urgent but the person is not in immediate danger please contact the adult social care team.

More information on what will happen when you make a safeguarding referral and what situations might be termed as “safeguarding”.