Skip to main content  


Highway licences

We are following the Government guidance on the COVID-19 virus, so some of our services have been adjusted. We are monitoring our mailboxes, but it may not be possible to reach us by telephone as easily.

The City of London Corporation is ​the highway authority for all the streets in the City of London except for the four Red Routes (TfL Road Network) for which Transport for London is the highway authority.

We are responsible for approving and licensing a range of activities on the public highway except on the Red Routes.

TfL red routes

  • A3211 (Victoria Embankment, Blackfriars Underpass, Upper Thames Street, Lower Thames Street, Byward Street)
  • A201 (New Bridge Street, Ludgate Circus, Farringdon Street)
  • A10 (London Bridge, King William Street, Gracechurch Street, Bishopsgate, Norton Folgate)
  • Minories (southern end), Goodman's Yard and Mansell Street.

If you need a licence or approval for one of these routes you need to contact TfL on 0845 305 1234 or visit Transport for London Highway Licences

Activities on the public highway Guidance Note (320KB)

Request a hard copy by emailing Highways management team.

Hoarding, scaffolding, building materials and skips

Hoarding and scaffolding

​​A scaffold, hoarding or other structure erected on the public highway must have a licence.

Before submitting an application (including payments) please call our Contact Centre on 020 7606 3030 or email the Scaffolding team to arrange a site visit. A member of our Highways Management Team will meet you on site following which they will send you an application pack.

Scaffolding and hoarding licence fees
Duration Fee
Up to 7 days per street £375
Up to 1 (one) month per street £450
Each month thereafter, per street £450

Building materials and skips

We do not allow materials or skips to be deposited anywhere on the highway within the City of London. If you have such a requirement then it will need to be met within the confines of a hoarding for which you will need a hoarding licence.

How to apply

You can apply for a licence and arrange a site meeting by emailing the Scaffolding team, or call our Contact Centre on 020 7606 3030.​​​

Concrete pump (on street)

The on-street concrete pump licence includes a pre and post pumping inspection of the local drainage system.

The fee for the pre and post pumping inspection is £3,350. An application for a licence must be made at least two weeks in advance of the proposed pumping date to give us time to arrange the pre pumping inspection.

If we find new concrete in the drainage system after the post-inspection we will remove it at the applicant's expense.

If you need more information call us on 020 7332 1545 or 020 7332 1105 or email the Highways management team.

Vehicle crossover and dropped kerbs

Vehicle crossover

Vehicle crossovers allow vehicle access across the pavement. We normally only consider new, revised or temporary crossovers as part of redevelopment works. Apply for a vehicle crossover as part of your redevelopment by calling our Contact Centre on 020 7606 3030 or email the Highways management team.

Dropped kerbs

We try to assist pedestrians by providing dropped kerbs at pedestrian crossing points or at selected locations, by raising the carriageway to pavement level.

You can email the City transportation team, if you want to apply for a dropped kerb.

If you would like general mobility advice please see the Access Team's pages

Temporary oversail of the highway

​​​Any site activity that oversails the highway, including tower cranes, hoists and other plant will require an indemnity. Please call the Contact Centre on 020 7332 3553/3554 or email the Highways management team for an onsite meeting following which we will send you the application pack.

We need four weeks' notice and the fee is £250.

Temporary road closures and traffic orders

​If your works or event need the temporary closure of the carriageway, footway or City walkway you will need a temporary Traffic Regulation Order.

You can request the road closure application pack by calling our Contact Centre on 020 7332 3553/3554.

You will need to send the completed indemnity form together with the traffic management plans to the Traffic management team ​for approval. You can find information on how to make a payment for the closure in the application pack.

You will need to apply at least 12 weeks in advance of your closure's proposed start date. This is to allow us to advertise and coordinate your closure with other works and events on the highway.​

Temporary road closures and traffic orders fees
Type of closure Notice period Fee
Bus route 12 weeks notice £2,850
Non-bus route 12 weeks notice £2,250
Urgent Less than 12 weeks notice (with advert), subject to network availability, network coordination and managers approval £2,850

NOTE before sending an advert to City AM, administration fees can be refunded on receipt of a written cancellation, subject to a cancellation fee of £850.

In an emergency where there is a potential risk to life or damage to property call us on 020 7332 3553/3554 to discuss.​​​​​​​

Is you road closure for a special event on the City's streets? See our Event planning in the City page for advice.

Long term road closures and temporary loading areas

Inspection fees for long term road closures and temporary loading areas
Duration Fee
Up to 1 (one) month n/a
Between 1-3 months £1,800
For each further 3 month period or part thereof £2,600