Skip to main content  


Freight and Servicing Supplementary Planning Document Consultation

The public consultation on the draft City of London Freight and Servicing Planning Document is now closed and we are reviewing comments and updating the document. The final document is expected to be published in early 2018.
The document will provide additional guidance on the interpretation of policies in the City of London Local Plan in relation to freight and servicing movements in the Square Mile, and aims to encourage practices to reduce traffic congestion and road danger and improve air quality.

For draft Supplementary Planning Document and associated documents see Planning Consultations.

Section 278 agreements (Highway Act 1980)

We recommend the developer seeks pre-application guidance on required highways works from the City Transportation team. The requirement and the scope of these works will be agreed through the planning process and identified within the s106 Agreement. The City of London requires the developer to enter into a s278 Agreement to enable the City Transportation team to design and construct the highways works. Unlike many other highways authorities we do not allow developers to undertake these works themselves. The City is a unique environment with a number of unusual and distinctive subterranean features which we are experienced in designing around. Our contractor has a track record of delivering quality work within the parameters of the City's construction requirements.

Although the Transportation Team will supply detailed comments on design via the pre-planning advice process we are happy to discuss the details separately or our likely requirements at any stage.

Please contact the Major Projects and Programmes Group Manager via our Contact Centre on 020 7332 1710.

City Walkways, Stopping Up, Diversions and Pedestrian Wayfinding Signs

If you need to:

  • Alter a city walkway under section 6(5) (a) of the City of London (Various Powers) Act 1967.
  • Discontinue a city walkway under section 6(5) (a) of the City of London (Various Powers) Act 1967.
  • Declare a city walkway under section 6(1) of the City of London (Various Powers) Act 1967.
  • Stop up or divert a public highway (only that stopping up or diversion that is necessary for development to be carried out in accordance with planning permission), under section 247(2A) (a) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
  • Alter pedestrian wayfinding sign(s).
  • Want to arrange for a new pedestrian wayfinding sign.

Please contact the City Transportation Team at

12 March 2012
Last Modified:
21 November 2017