New safety measures and visitor information
We are delighted to be able to welcome visitors to Guildhall Art Gallery & London's Roman Amphitheatre. Please read on to find out about the new measures we’ve put in place to ensure that we are able to offer a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.
Alternatively, our new Guide for Visitors can be downloaded and saved to your device.
Guide for Visitors PDF (640KB)Date submitted: 10/26/20
We will continue to monitor advice about COVID-19 and may change the measures listed here from time to time in accordance with that advice.
COVID-19 'Test and Trace' Centre at Guildhall Yard
Please note there is a Covid-19 'Test and Trace' Centre located in Guildhall Yard, opposite Guildhall Art Gallery.
People attending for testing have been asked to wear face coverings at all times and maintain social distancing. The City of London Corporation has taken measures, including the installation of a barriered space, to ensure that there will be a safe distance between those attending the Centre and visitors to the Art Gallery. We have been assured that the Centre does not pose an increased health risk to visitors to the Art Gallery.
There is a separate entrance and exit point for Art Gallery visitors and we ask all visitors to access the Art Gallery via Basinghall Street. There is clear signage in the surrounding area to ensure that people are directed to the appropriate routes.
We want your visit to Guildhall Art Gallery to be a safe and enjoyable experience. Please note the following:
- Pre-booked tickets are compulsory for entry to Guildhall Art Gallery, which includes London's Roman Amphitheatre and the City of London Heritage Gallery. Book online.
- Opening times are 10.30am - 5pm (last entry 4pm) on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- We are asking visitors to wear a face covering in the Gallery.
- You should not visit if you think you have COVID-19 symptoms or if you have recently been in contact with someone who has COVID-19. If you are no longer able to visit, please email us as soon as possible to transfer your booking.
- Toilet facilities and hand sanitiser stations are available.
- Please follow all guidance given by team members.
- We welcome families and ask household groups to stay together where possible. You will only be permitted to visit with members of the same household or support bubble. Different households, including those on guided tours, should maintain physical distancing.
We are ready to welcome you back, and have implemented new measures to ensure that this is done in a safe and responsible way.
- Our ticketing system limits the number of visitors in the gallery at any one time and a one-way route round the Gallery makes it easier to maintain physical distancing.
- The Gallery is deep-cleaned by trained specialists every day before we open. Our cleansing team cleans the toilet facilities at regular intervals, and high frequency touchpoints such as door handles and handrails are also cleaned throughout the day.
- We encourage all visitors to use the hand sanitiser stations available on entering and at key points inside the Gallery. You should also consider bringing your own hand sanitiser and tissues.
- Our team members at the Welcome Desk are behind a screen, to help protect you and them. Personal Protective Equipment has been made available to our team members if they wish to wear it.
- We are asking visitors to wear a face covering in the Gallery.
- If you begin to feel unwell during your visit, please let a member of staff know.
- If team members see that guidance is not being followed, we will ask visitors to leave or close the Gallery.
- We have a legal obligation to collect certain contact details and store them for 21 days. We will only share them with NHS Test and Trace, if asked, in the event of a fellow visitor testing positive for COVID-19. There are QR codes on site, which you can use to check in on the NHS COVID-19 App.
- Tickets must be booked online through Art Tickets.
- You must pre-book tickets for a specific date and time (subject to availability).
- Free tickets for general admission to the Gallery must be booked online.
- You will not be permitted to enter without a valid pre-booked ticket.
- We have introduced a one-way route around the main Gallery, Heritage Gallery and London’s Roman Amphitheatre.
- On this route you will see some of our most famous Victorian artworks, a photography exhibition by artist in residence Hannah Starkey, the newly-refreshed Undercroft Gallery and unique Roman remains.
- Downloading Smartify before you visit will help you get the most out of your visit.
- We regret that guided tours are temporarily suspended.
- Toilet facilities are available and baby changing facilities are available on request.
- We regret that we are not able to open our cloakroom or lockers. Please only bring essential items, as there will be no facilities to store coats, bags, buggies or other items.
- The Gallery is fully accessible and our lifts will be reserved for those who require them.
- Folding stools will be available from the Welcome Desk for visitors who would like to take a seat. Please return these to the Welcome Desk at the end of your visit for cleaning.
- Food and drink, except for bottled water, cannot be consumed in the Gallery. We regret that there will be no drinking fountains available.
- Our shop will be accepting card and contactless payments. We will not be able to accept cash payments. A range of merchandise and limited cold drinks will be available to purchase.
- You can buy some of our best-selling products on our webshop.
- Please check government and Transport for London guidance regarding travel and use of face coverings on public transport. We encourage you to walk or cycle if possible. Cycle parking is available by the Guildhall West Wing.
- Entrance to the Gallery will be via Basinghall Street. There will be clear signage in the surrounding area to ensure that people are directed to the appropriate routes.
- You may be asked to queue outside the Gallery. Markings will help you maintain physical distancing and you will be told when it is safe to enter the Gallery.
- Our usual bag-checking will take place. Please have your bags ready for inspection.
- Your ticket(s) will be checked by our Welcome Team. Please have your booking confirmation and any memberships ready.
Checklist for your visit
- Plan your journey
- Pre-book your tickets
- Ensure that you are healthy to visit
- Wear a face covering inside the Gallery
- Consider what to bring with you – remember: there are no lockers or cloakroom
- Use the hand sanitiser provided or bring your own
- Maintain physical distancing where possible
- Ask a team member if you have any questions
Enjoy your visit!