The Old Bailey
London's Central Criminal Court, universally known as the Old Bailey, has been the capital's principal criminal court for centuries, the nickname is taken from the road the Court is situated on.
Built on the site of the old Newgate prison, the area has been the scene of floggings, mutilations, pressings (if a defendant refused to plead guilty), burnings at the stake and hangings.
Up to 20 people could be hanged at a time, attracting up to 100,000 spectators.
But in 1868 public hangings were abolished due to civil unrest.
In 1834, the Central Criminal Court Act established the Old Bailey as the principal court for London and the South East circuit.
In 1902 the old sessions house and Newgate Prison were demolished to make way for the current building, which was opened in 1907 by Edward VII.
The current neo-Baroque building of 1907, is topped by a 12ft gold leaf statue of a ‘lady of justice’ holding a sword in one hand and the scales of justice in the other.
Daniel Defoe, Oscar Wilde, Dr Crippen, the Kray Twins, Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe, disgraced politician Jeffrey Archer and Soham murderer Ian Huntley have all faced their providence in the Old Bailey dock.