Skip to main content  
 
 

 

Heritage

Queen's Park Bandstand

Queen's Park was designed and laid out by Alexander McKenzie and opened by the Lord Mayor of London in 1887. By this time, McKenzie was one of London's most influential park designers, having already planned Alexandra Palace Park in 1863.

The Ecclesiastical Commissioners had given the site of Queen's Park for the "free use and enjoyment of the public". It was to be named 'Kilburn Recreational Ground', but was changed to 'Queen's Park' in honour of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. It was the site of the 1879 Royal Agricultural Exhibition.

Situated in northwest London between Kensal Green, Brondesbury Park and Kilburn, the park forms the main focus of a neighbourhood which developed from around 1895 consisting of late Victorian and Edwardian houses.

Allotments were dug in the park during the Second World War to aid the 'Dig for Victory' campaign. Air-raid shelters, army huts and a barrage balloon were also added; but the tennis courts continued to be used despite the Blitz!

Today Queen's Park lies within the London Borough of Brent and the park and the surrounding streets are in a Conservation Area.

Over time Queen's Park has evolved, while remaining true to the ideals of the Victorian founders. The 1891 bandstand was restored to its original splendour in 1994. The park still displays McKenzie's figure-of-eight design.

Download a document providing further information on the History of Queen's Park (6MB).

Published:
13 March 2012
Last Modified:
20 September 2016

Notifications