Skip to main content  
 
 

 
West Ham Park

Documents dated 1566 relating to the Park show that the land was originally part of the Upton House estate. In 1762 philanthropist Dr John Fothergill acquired the land and was encouraged to build a botanical garden on it. He would often waive his fees and instead accept payment in rare plants.

After Dr Fothergill's death the Park passed to the Gurney family. When the family wished to sell the estate in the 1860s they, the City of London and local residents raised funds to purchase the site so as to preserve it as an open space.

West Ham Park was officially opened on 20 July 1874 at a ceremony performed by the Lord Mayor of London. Deeds of title were presented declaring the Park 'open public grounds and garden for adults, children and youth', and that the City of London should 'maintain the Park forever at its own expense'.

Management Plan and Conservation Management Plan  

The Park's management plan includes more about its history and plans for its preservation. More details on the preservation and conservation of the Park can be found in the Conservation Management Plan. They are available from the Park office.

English Heritage Register

In recognition of this rich and diverse history, the park is listed as a Grade II site on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Specific Historic Interest.

Green Heritage 

In 2009/10 and 2010/11 West Ham Park received Green Heritage Site accreditation for the way the Park's history is managed and interpreted.

London Parks Discovery Project

West Ham Park is pleased to support the London Parks Discovery Project which promotes the importance of historic parks as an educational resource.​​

Published:
16 December 2015
Last Modified:
12 September 2018

Notifications