Skip to main content  
 
 

 

​Diocese of Guildford collection has moved home

Jeff Gerhardt

Since 1961, London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) has been the custodian of a large portion of the archives of the Diocese of Guildford. Measuring about 42 linear metres in extent, the collection is not particularly large as diocesan collections go, as the diocese was only formed in 1927. The vast majority of deposits were received from the diocesan registry which acts as the diocesan legal office. Therefore, the archives are mainly legal records including faculty papers, title deeds and various administrative papers.

Except for the parish of Chessington, there is little relationship between London and the Diocese of Guildford. Discovering that Surrey History Centre also holds archives from the diocese, we contacted them and the Bishop of Guildford to see how they felt about transferring Guildford’s archives to Surrey History Centre. Both organisations were in agreement that this was a good idea and steps were taken to transfer the archives to Woking, with the move completed on 11 November 2013. The whole of the collection has now been brought together in one place and located at a more relevant repository within the diocese.

Researchers interested in the Diocese of Guildford’s archives should contact Surrey History Centre at:

Surrey History Centre
130 Goldsworth Road
Woking
GU21 6ND

Tel: 01483 518 737
Fax: 01483 518 738 
Email: shs@surreycc.gov.uk 
Website: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice

Surrey History Centre has asked researchers to be patient as they rationalise the collection and assimilate the archives previously held at LMA.

Please note that records of the Diocese of Winchester and Archdeaconry of Surrey relating to parishes now in the Diocese of Guildford will stay at LMA.

Further information

You can find out more about records relating to religion held at LMA on our collections pages.

Published:
04 February 2014
Last Modified:
27 September 2018

Notifications