Skip to main content  
 
 

 

War memorials

The City Corporation cares for several war memorials.

London troops

This statue has a memorial column with buttress plinths constructed from Portland stone blocks with elaborate architectural moulded decoration. The main column has a bronze cresting of a lion rampant holding a shield with the regimental crest.

On the front of the column, below the upper moulding, is a carved coat of arms. Within the central panel on the front of the column is a dedication to the men that fell in the 1914-1919 and 1939-1945 wars.

On the rear of the column with the central panel is a list of the London regiments involved in both conflicts. The inscriptions on the front are in applied, raised, lead lettering; the inscriptions on the rear are on lead and are set into the stone.

On the buttress plinths to either side of the main column are two standing, life-size infantry figures in bronze. The base of each bronze figure is surrounded by a shallow lead gutter, draining into the main body of the column.

Around the base of the column are a number of bronze wreath hooks embossed with crossed rifles. Also at this level is a bronze plaque with moulded edge, acknowledging the money raised by public subscription for the memorial.

Location
In front of the Royal Exchange just outside Bank tube station.

Guildhall War Memorials

Boer War Memorial

The Boer War Memorial was erected in 1907 and the sculptor was FW Pomeroy, and is located in the Great Hall of the Guildhall on the south wall at the west end of the Hall. The memorial is made up of three separate panels which were purposefully designed to fit in with the Gothic arcading.

On the right hand side is a private of the Regiment of the Royal Fusiliers, on the left is a female figure which represents the Civic Government, she is holding a palm branch over the 81 names of those who fell. At the top of the monument is the badge of the Royal Fusiliers and at the base is the Arms of the City of London from where the Royal Fusiliers originated.

Location
Great Hall, City of London, Guildhall, Gresham Street, London EC2P 2EJ.
The Hall is open for public access except when functions are held. For more information call 020 7606 3030

First and Second World War Memorial

In the "Dance" Porch of the Guildhall are two separate memorials which were erected to commemorate the members and sons of members and officers of the City of London who fell in the two world wars.

On the left hand side is the memorial for those who perished in the First World War. This was designed by Sydney Perks, and cast in bronze by the Bromsgrove Guild. It was unveiled by the Rt Hon the Lord Mayor, James Roll, Esq, on 20 January 1921. It contains the names of one member, thirty three sons of members and seventy eight of the Staff of the City of London.

On the right hand side is the memorial for those who died during the Second World War. It was unveiled on 3 October 1973 by the Rt Hon the Lord Mayor Sir Hugh Wontner. It contains the names of one Sheriff and and 54 of the Staff of the City of London.

Location
Great Hall, City of London, Guildhall, Gresham Street, London EC2P 2EJ.
No public access.

Royal Fusiliers

The war memorial - Royal Fusiliers' City of London is dedicated to both the 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 wars. A bronze statue of a Royal Fusilier in battle dress is mounted on a tall Portland stone tapered pedestal plinth with a stepped base.

The pedestal is mounted on the west face with the Fusilier's badge in bronze and carved dedications with black letter infill. On the east face is a large bronze plaque with raised lettering listing the Battalion Honours. Around the lower stepped base are placed small stainless steel hooks for wreaths.

The wording on the front of the memorial is as follows:

The Royal Fusiliers
(City of London Regiment)
To the glorious memory of the 22000 Royal Fusiliers who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1919
And to the Royal Fusiliers who fell in the World War 1939 - 1945
And those fusiliers killed in subsequent campaigns

Location
Holborn (in centre of road) near Brooke Street. Nearest tube station, Chancery Lane.

Smithfield War Memorial

Access via West Smithfield or Charterhouse Street The Smithfield War Memorial forms part of a Grade II* Listed Building found within the Smithfield Conservation Area and was originally dedicated in 1921 to those people associated with the Markets who died during World War I.

The memorial has the names of the fallen inscribed on a granite block weighing three and a half tons in gilded lead lettering. Above the main granite block, between two architectural scrolls of granite, is a bronze cartouche containing the dedicatory inscription. Emblematic figures representing 'Fame' and 'Victory' holding laurel wreaths are on the cartouche, and a wreath, a palm-leaf and a trumpet are placed at the top. At the top of the statue is a bronze representation of the Arms of the City of London and at the base is the Coat of Arms of the Worshipful Company of Master Butchers.

Over the years the memorial had suffered from wear and tear and other defects and in 2005 the memorial underwent restoration. It was agreed to extend the War Memorial to commemorate the memory of all men, women and children of Smithfield who have lost their lives in conflict since the Great War. This was achieved through the addition of a new block of red granite and a bronze plaque.

The war memorial was re-dedicated on 15 June 2005 by HRH The Princess Royal on behalf of the Lord Mayor of London Alderman Michael Savory and the City of London, the Smithfield Market Tenants' Association and the Worshipful Company of Butchers.

Location
Smithfield Market

Submariner memorial

This is a war memorial to the Submariners of both world wars comprising a monumental stepped granite plinth set into the Thames embankment wall, constructed form large rectangular slabs and blocks of granite on which is mounted a large bas-relief sculptural bronze memorial plaque depicting the cross section of the interior of an early submarine surrounded by sea spirits and fish. This central element is surrounded by an architectural framework decorated with further sculptures and sculptural embellishments.

To either side of this central bronze plaque are 40 bronze wreath hooks in the form of anchors. An additional plaque was added below the large plaque in 1992 to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the unveiling of the original memorial.

Plaque details
At the top of the memorial are the following words:

"Erected to the memory of the officers and men of the British Navy who lost their lives serving in submarines 1914-1918 and 1939-1945."

On the left hand side of the main memorial is a list of submarines lost in the Great War (1914-1918), and on the right hand side is a list of submarines lost during the Second World War (1939-1945).

The 70th Anniversary plaque reads:

National Submarine War Memorial (1922)
This plaque commemorates the memorial's seventieth anniversary and the contribution by the members of the submariners old comrades, London, in their devotion to the upkeep of this memorial, unveiled by Peter P Rigby C.B.E. J.P.

Location
Victoria Embankment, near Temple Pier. Nearest tube station, Temple.

More information

For further information on war memorials, consult the Imperial War Museum's UK National Inventory of War Memorials. The War Memorial Trust may also be able to assist.​


Notifications