Skip to content

Environmental Permits

Date updated: 14/08/2023

Do you need an Environmental Permit?

Any industrial activities which contribute to air pollution by releasing smoke, dust, or solvent fumes require environmental permits, as detailed in the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016.

Industrial processes are categorised in one of three classes and are regulated by the Local Authority or Environment Agency to ensure that they are maintaining best practice and minimising pollution emissions.

If you intend to operate a process that requires a Part B or Part A2 authorisation, you will need a permit. Check here to find out if you need an environmental permit. Please contact the Air Quality Team.

Part A1 processes

Part A1 processes are very large, heavily polluting operations such as power stations. These are regulated by the Environment Agency. There is one Part A1 process in the City of London:

  • Broadgate Data Centre, UBS AG, 5 Broadgate, London, EC2M 2QY. Permit number EPR/ZP3238DK

Please visit the EA public register for further information.

Part B and A2 processes

Local authorities are responsible for regulating around 80 different types of industrial processes including:

  • dry cleaning
  • vehicle respraying
  • furniture manufacture
  • cement batching
  • petrol stations

Part A2 processes are regulated by local authorities for a range of multi-media emissions (land, air, water). This regulatory system is known as Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC).  

Part B processes are regulated by local authorities for emissions to air only and is known as Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC).

There are two Part B regulated processes in the City of London. They are listed in the table.

Reference Operator Address Date of issue


Four Seasons

10 Trinity Square



12 April 2019


Skanska Rashleigh
Weatherfoil Limited

St Bartholomew's Hospital

West Smithfield



22 December 2020

Further information on the Part B processes listed above is available through The City of London Corporation public register.