Government information for the bereaved PDF (300KB)Date submitted: 5/13/20
This leaflet shares important information to help bereaved families, friends or next of kin make important decisions during this national emergency and explains the next steps, answers some of your questions, and guides you to the extra help and support that is available.
- A step-by-step guide on what to do when someone dies including how to register the death and arrange the funeral. This information is also available in other languages.
- The Government has issued updated guidance on allowing family members to attend the funerals of their loved ones and ensuring the safety of mourners and funeral staff. Read Government advice for managing a funeral during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you need help to cope with a bereavement, there is lots of free support available. Here are some of the services available to assist City residents.
City and East London Bereavement Service (CELBS)
Cruse Bereavement Care
The Compassionate Friends
There is support available if you need help with the cost of a funeral or need to access bereavement benefits. If you are struggling to pay for a funeral and your only source of funding is the Funeral Expenses Payment (see below), you are advised to tell the funeral director before committing to any arrangements.
- Government Funeral Expenses Payment (you may be eligible if you receive certain benefits or tax credits and this can either be paid to an individual or directly to the funeral director, though the payment will not usually cover all the costs of the funeral).
- Advice from the Money Advice Service, which lists alternative options for paying for a funeral.
- Government Bereavement Support Payment (if you receive or are entitled to Child Benefit you may receive the higher rate).
- Government Guardian’s Allowance (if you are bringing up a child whose parents have died. If you are a lone surviving parent you may also be eligible).
- Quaker Social Action support for people struggling with funeral costs. This includes support via a pre-funeral advice line, dealing with a bill post-funeral and other useful resources.
- Child Funeral Charity
- Final Farewell
- Friends of the Elderly
- Turn2Us provides a range of financial support, including that related to bereavement.
- City Advice provides free advice on a range of issues, including bereavement support services, to City residents or residents of City Corporation Estates.