Visit Guildhall Library
From 4 October, Guildhall Library will be open by appointment, 10am - 4pm, Monday to Thursday (last entry at 3.30pm)
Our priority is to be open in a way which is safe for staff and readers and so our current Covid precautions will remain in place for the safety of visitors and staff.
The wearing of masks whilst in the reading room will continue to be mandatory for visitors and staff, unless you are medically exempt.
Social distancing will be in place and we have redesigned our systems and reading room to operate safely and smoothly. Researchers must follow our guidance on social distancing and government guidance on travel to and within the UK.
What are we offering?
- Guildhall Library is offering a limited number of research places each day on a pre-booked basis. Booking is strongly recommended as we may have to refuse entry if we are already at capacity. (See how to book below).
- We will not be able to take any copying orders onsite, however, subject to copyright law and our own photography policy, you may be able to photograph material yourself. Please ask staff for further details.
- Wifi is available in the reading room. You can bring your own laptop, phone and paper and pencil, but if you are consulting rare books and manuscripts you will need to put your other personal items in one of our lockers.
- Where material is available only on microfilm you will be booked on a reader scanner for your exclusive use on the day of your visit. However, printing is not currently available. If you wish to use any of our digital resources, including Ancestry and Find My Past etc. you will need to let us know so that we can reserve you a computer.
In order to comply with guidance on social distancing and to ensure the safety of all visitors and staff, your experience will be slightly different to what you are used to – when we confirm your booking we will also send you more details of what to expect when you visit.
How can I book?
We are now taking bookings for October to December.
To make a booking please email Guildhall Library with your preferred date/s.
- In order to complete a booking, you need to identify the exact reference/shelf number/manuscript number of each item you wish to consult – up to a maximum number of 10 items per visit.
- We strongly advise that you reserve the material you wish to consult ahead of your visit as we cannot guarantee we will be able to retrieve material from the store on the day.
- If you wish to use any of our digital resources, including Ancestry and Find My Past etc. please let us know so that we can reserve you a computer.
- We can help you use our catalogues by email or by phone (Monday to Thursday), but we must have all item references at least three working days before your visit otherwise we cannot guarantee your material will be ready on the day you visit.
Please remember that to consult manuscripts and rare books we will require ID when you visit (for instance a valid LMA History card or a current City of London Libraries Card) and proof of your address.