Visit Guildhall Library
Guildhall Library is open by appointment, 10.30am - 3.30pm, Tuesday to Thursday
Our priority is to reopen in a way which is safe for staff and readers. Wearing masks will be mandatory; social distancing will be in place and we have redesigned our systems and reading room to operate safely and smoothly. Researchers must follow our guidance on social distancing and government guidance on travel to and within the UK.
We regret we will not be able to offer access to Guildhall Library without a booked appointment.
What are we offering?
- Guildhall Library is offering 10 researcher places a day on a pre-booked basis.
- We are open 10.30am - 3.30pm, Tuesday to Thursday.
- We will not be able to take any copying orders onsite, however, subject to copyright law and our own photography policy, you may be able to photograph material yourself. Please ask staff for further details.
- Wifi is available in the reading room. You can bring your own laptop, phone and paper and pencil, but if you are consulting rare books and manuscripts you will need to put your other personal items in one of our lockers.
- Where material is available only on microfilm you will be booked on a reader scanner for your exclusive use on the day of your visit. However, printing is not currently available.
As numbers are restricted please consider whether access to our material is essential or if you can delay your visit until we can welcome more library users.
In order to comply with guidance on social distancing and to ensure the safety of all visitors and staff, your experience will be slightly different to what you are used to – when we confirm your booking we will also send you more details of what to expect when you visit.
How can I book?
We are now taking bookings for July and August.
To make a booking please email Guildhall Library with your preferred date/s.
- If your research is urgent, please let us know.
- In order to complete a booking, you need to identify the exact reference/shelf number/manuscript number of each item you wish to consult – up to a maximum number of 10 items per visit.
You will not be able to order anything on the day of your visit.
- We can help you use our catalogues by email, but we must have all item references at least seven calendar days before your visit otherwise your booking may be cancelled and offered to someone else.
Please remember that to consult manuscripts and rare books we will require ID when you visit (for instance A valid LMA History card or a current City of London Libraries card accepted) and proof of your address.