Skip to content

Highway licences

Date updated: 17/10/2022
Contact the Highways Management team

The City of London Corporation is ​the highway authority for all the streets in the City of London except for the four Red Routes (TfL Road Network) for which Transport for London is the highway authority.

We are responsible for approving and licensing a range of activities on the public highway except on the Red Routes.

TfL red routes

  • A3211 (Victoria Embankment, Blackfriars Underpass, Upper Thames Street, Lower Thames Street, Byward Street)
  • A201 (New Bridge Street, Ludgate Circus, Farringdon Street)
  • A10 (London Bridge, King William Street, Gracechurch Street, Bishopsgate, Norton Folgate)
  • Minories (southern end), Goodman's Yard and Mansell Street.

If you need a licence or approval for one of these routes you need to contact TfL  Transport for London Highway Licences

Request a hard copy by contacting the Highways management team.

Guidance notes for activities on the public highway PDF (330KB)
Date submitted: 13/02/20

Hoarding, scaffolding.

​​A scaffold, hoarding or other structure erected on the public highway must have a licence.

Before submitting an application please call our Contact Centre on 020 7606 3030 or email the Scaffolding team to arrange a site visit, the fee for this is £350. A member of our Highways Management Team will meet you on site following which they will send you an application pack.

Scaffolding and hoarding licence fees
Duration Fee
Up to seven days per street £425
Up to one month per street £500
Each month thereafter, per street £500


Scaffolding and hoarding licence fees with welfare facilities 
Duration Fee
Up to one month per street  £1000 
Each month thereafter or part thereof, per street  £1000

Building materials and skips

We do not allow materials or skips to be deposited anywhere on the highway within the City of London. If you have such a requirement then it will need to be met within the confines of a hoarding for which you will need a hoarding licence.

How to apply

You can apply for a licence and arrange a site meeting by emailing the Scaffolding team, or call our Contact Centre on 020 7606 3030.​​​


The on-street concrete pump licence includes a pre and post pumping inspection of the local drainage system.

The fee for the pre and post pumping inspection is £3,750. An application for a licence must be made at least two weeks in advance of the proposed pumping date to give us time to arrange the pre pumping inspection.

If we find new concrete in the drainage system after the post-inspection we will remove it at the applicant's expense.

If you need more information call us on 020 7332 1545 or 020 7332 1105 or contact the Highways management team.

Vehicle crossover

Vehicle crossovers allow vehicle access across the pavement. We normally only consider new, revised or temporary crossovers as part of redevelopment works. Apply for a vehicle crossover as part of your redevelopment by calling our Contact Centre on 020 7606 3030 or contact the Highways management team.

Dropped kerbs

We try to assist pedestrians by providing dropped kerbs at pedestrian crossing points or at selected locations, by raising the carriageway to pavement level.

You can email the City transportation team, if you want to apply for a dropped kerb.

​​​Any site activity that oversails the highway, including tower cranes, hoists and other plant will require an indemnity. Please call the Contact Centre on 020 7332 3553/3554 or contact the Highways management team for an onsite meeting following which we will send you the application pack.

Initial application for duration of works (per crane) £2,000.

Extension to initial application (per crane for each six months or part thereof) £500.

Initial application for duration of works (per hoist/lifting beam) £1,000.

Extension to initial application (per hoist/lifting beam for each six months or part thereof ) £250.


Lane restrictions, priority boards, give/take, stop/go, Stop Works and temporary lights for cranes, aerial platforms, generators, footway closures for non-site/utility related.

Bus route £400.

Non bus route £325.

The above charges must be paid in full before any licence is issued, subject to City approval at an on-site meeting which will incur an additional fee of £350.

No arrangements will be made until a completed application and payment has been received.

We need four weeks' notice.

​If your works or event need the temporary closure of the carriageway, footway or City walkway you will need a temporary Traffic Regulation Order.

You can request the road closure application pack by calling our Contact Centre on 020 7332 3553/3554.

You will need to send the completed indemnity form together with the traffic management plans to the Highways management team ​(Traffic) for approval. You can find information on how to make a payment for the closure in the application pack.

You will need to apply at least 12 weeks in advance of your closure's proposed start date. This is to allow us to advertise and coordinate your closure with other works and events on the highway.​

Temporary road closures and traffic orders fees
Type of closure Notice period Fee
Bus route 12 weeks notice


Non-bus route 12 weeks notice £2,800
Urgent Less than 12 weeks notice (with advert)* £3,850

*subject to network availability, network coordination and managers approval

Inspection fee for long-term road closures and Temporary Vehicle Loading Areas (Pit Lanes) :

Up to one month £750.

Between one and three months £2100.

For each three month period or thereof £2950.

Full refunds of inspection fees due to cancellation in writing will be possible before the start of works. Subsequent refunds will be limited to those complete three month periods yet to commence.

Payment can be made by credit card. Payments made by BACS/Invoice raised will incur an additional £300 administration fee.

No approval will be given until payment has been received.

NOTE before sending an advert for publication, administration fees can be refunded on receipt of a written cancellation, subject to a cancellation fee of £1000.

In an emergency where there is a potential risk to life or damage to property call us on 020 7332 3553/3554 to discuss.​​​​​​​