Skip to content

The Square can trace its origins to medieval Paternoster Row, where the clergy of St Paul’s once walked holding their rosary beads and reciting the ‘Paternoster’, or Lord’s Prayer (Paternoster translates as ‘Our Father’).

Paternoster Square in its current form, opened in 2003. Situated between the London Stock Exchange and St Paul's Cathedral it is an apt mix of classical and modern styles. Home to many shops and restaurants, the restored Temple Bar and the bronze sculpture Shepherd and Sheep by Elisabeth Frink.

Frink's sculpture is a reference to Newgate Meat Market that was on this site from the late 17th century, until Smithfield took it’s place in 1868. The use of sheep is also a religious nod to the proximity of St Paul’s Cathedral.

The centrepiece of the square is a huge column. It looks similar to The Monument however, this one stands at a shorter 23.3m and is based on Inigo Jones’ corinthian columns for St Paul’s West Portico, destroyed in favour of Wren’s design we see today. The urn of golden flames at the top commemorates both fires that destroyed this area, in 1666 and 1940.

92,903m², John Simpson, 2003.