Clocks and clockmakers
Sources containing biographical information include:
- Apprentice bindings, 1694-1890
- Freedom admissions, 1631-1947
- Quarterage books, 1698-1850, with gaps. These records can indicate period of activity and sometimes date of death.
- Court minutes, 1632-1992. The minutes can include promotions to the livery, elections to the Court of Assistants and to offices, and requests for charitable assistance by members and their dependents.
Published sources relating to the Clockmakers' Company
C E Atkins, Register of apprentices of the Worshipful Company Clockmakers...1631 to...1931 (1931) and Freemen of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers 1631-1984 (1984).
Lists of the Master, Wardens, Court of Assistants and Livery, with their addresses: more recent issues also include Freemen. Guildhall Library has copies for 1784-1789, 1796-1815, 1817-1965, and 1968 to date (now published every few years).
S E Atkins and W H Overall, Some account of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers (1881) includes biographical notices of prominent members, lists of Masters and Wardens, and many passing references to individual members.
The records of several individuals and firms engaged in the clock and watch trades can be found in the Library Catalogue under the name of the maker or at L 69.14 clocks and watches.
Notable firms represented include Thwaites and Reed, V Kullberg and E Dent & Co. Ltd.
The Society was formed in 1916 by the amalgamation of the Watch and Clock Makers’ Benevolent Institution (established 1815), the Watch and Clock Makers’ Pension Society (established 1817) and the Watch and Clock Makers’ Asylum at New Southgate.
The records held are principally minutes and annual reports and accounts, which may include lists of donors and subscribers and, in the case of the Asylum, inmates.
We hold many lists of clock and watchmakers, some national or provincial and others relating to specific localities. Notable general lists include:
- F J Britten, Britten's old clocks and watches and their makers (9th ed., revised by C. Clutton, 1982)
- G H Baillie, Watchmakers and clockmakers of the world (3rd ed. 1951, revised by C Clutton, 1982)
- B Loomes, Watchmakers and clockmakers of the world, vol. 2 (1976)
- B Loomes, Watchmakers and clockmakers of the world (21st Century ed. 2006)
- B Loomes, Early clockmakers of Great Britain (1981)
- D Moore, British clockmakers & watchmakers apprentice records 1710-1810 (2003)