Information and enquiries
Visit Guildhall Library
Book an appointment
We strongly recommend that you book a place if you wish to access material from our stores. This includes all manuscript material, rare books and the majority of our other book collections. Booking ahead means that your material will be ready for you at your assigned desk, and you will not have to wait for it to be retrieved from the stores.
Email us your request in advance
To book email Guildhall Library with your preferred dates.
- In order to complete a booking, you need to identify the exact reference/shelf number/manuscript number of each item you wish to consult – up to a maximum number of 10 items per visit.
- We can help you use our catalogues by email or by phone (020 7332 1868) (Monday to Thursday), but ideally, we need all item references at least one working day before your visit.
This restriction will remain in place because of reduced staffing levels rather than as a direct result of COVID-19 rules and regulations. Use of face coverings is still mandatory when you visit Guildhall Library unless you are exempt. The Government continues to recommend the wearing of masks in enclosed spaces
Bring your ID
Please remember that to consult manuscripts and rare books we will require ID when you visit, for instance, a valid LMA History card or a current City of London Libraries Card. However, other ID is acceptable including a current driving licence, passport etc, plus proof of address (bank statement, utilities bill etc.)
Other library services
- Subject to copyright law and our own photography policy, you may be able to photograph material yourself. Please ask staff for further details – a photography permit is currently available at £7 per day. We are only accepting card payments at the moment.
- Free Wi-Fi is available in the reading room.
- Please note that printing is not currently available from our computers and microfilm readers.
Non essential bookings
Booking is not essential if you only need a study space, a computer for general internet use, or to use our online resources like Ancestry, Find My Past, British Newspaper Archive etc. However, if you would like to guarantee that a computer is available, please do let us know ahead of your visit