Skip to content
Date updated: 5/09/2023

Filming on the public highway

Please note that we issue a Notice of No Objection for small, portable filming on the streets where no equipment or traffic control licences are required. We do not reserve streets and do not carry out a street works check for small shoots and street works could be booked in at any time up to the date of your shoot.

Filming on private land

If you wish to film on private land, belonging to other land owners, you will need to obtain first the consent of the landlord.

Examples of private land in the City of London include

  • City churches
  • Museum of London
  • Broadgate Estate
  • Network Rail Stations
  • London Underground Stations
  • New Street Square
  • Aviva Square
  • Forecourt areas and squares attached to buildings (such as St Pauls Cathedral, Aviva, etc.)
  • Inner and Middle Temple

Filming on City Corporation private property

If you wish to film on City Corporation private property please contact the Film team in the first instance. This applies to all filming and photography regardless of crew size.

Popular City Corporation's properties in the City of London include:

  • Tower Bridge, Millennium Bridge, London Bridge, Southwark Bridge and Blackfriars Bridge
  • Most parks and gardens in the City
  • Guildhall and Guildhall Yard
  • Leadenhall Market and Smithfield Market
  • Monument
  • The Old Bailey
  • Mansion House
  • The Barbican Centre and the Barbican Estate
  • Golden Lane Estate
  • Middlesex Street Estate

Filming on City bridges

You may be charged for filming on City bridges. Only small crews filming on these locations can do so free of charge, for up to 30 minutes only. There will still be an application fee.

  • Millennium Bridge
  • London Bridge
  • Southwark Bridge
  • Blackfriars Bridge

Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge is situated just outside the City’s boundaries but it is privately owned by the City Corporation and if you wish to film on or in the Bridge you will need to submit an application. A location fee will be charged.

If you wish to film Tower Bridge from a vantage point nearby

Please be aware that the land to the north of the bridge is in the borough of Tower Hamlets and the land to the south is in the borough of Southwark. Most of the land around the Bridge is however owned by a variety of different organisations, most of whom charge for filming on their land.

A document showing different vantage points of the Bridge and details of who the relevant landowners are, is published on the Film London website

If you prefer not to pay any fees and don't mind being a bit further back from the Bridge then you should look at camera positions suggested on the Film London website. These are all public walkway in the City and there would be no fee to film from these spots.

If your application is successful, we will send you a Contract to Film on Private Property which you will need to return before filming starts.

Other things to consider before applying

  • No dispensation is given for winniebagos or catering vehicles.
  • Cranes are not permitted and tracking is only permitted in very few, quiet, pedestrian areas.
  • It is rare for a hoarding licence to be issued on a weekday between 7am - 7pm.
  • Filming that requires police assistance will rarely be permitted on weekdays.

Film Production Companies are not permitted to hold up traffic without prior agreement with the City Corporation.

Intermittent Traffic Control can only be carried out by qualified traffic management personnel. Traffic Management plans, indemnity and public liability insurance must be received a minimum of six weeks in advance of the filming date, but we advise as much notice as possible as it can take several weeks to process an application.

Road closures require a minimum 12 weeks’ notice. A Traffic Management Plan, indemnity and copy of public liability insurance must have been received by us no later than 12 weeks before the date the closure is required, however we advise as much notice as possible as it can take several weeks to process an application.

Bays and dispensations may only be suspended for the purpose of essential equipment vehicles and are not for personal vehicles.

During the working week (Monday - Friday 7am - 7pm) requests must be limited to essential technical vehicles only and not include Winniebagos and catering vehicles.

A minimum of seven working days will be required to process and issue a moderate amount of dispensations / bay suspension requests.

Productions with a large parking requirement should allow the following:

  • 10 plus vehicles or more than 5 bay suspension – two weeks’ notice
  • 20 plus vehicles or more than 10 bay suspensions – three weeks’ notice

Should you wish to film with a low loader, a tracking vehicle or any other vehicle, please note that your vehicle and any parts attached to it must be fully roadworthy, licensed and insured.

Any vehicle must follow all road regulations at all times and cause no obstruction or danger to any other vehicle or pedestrian.

Both the Metropolitan Police and the City of London Police have tightened up their checks on such vehicles due to recent incidents involving vehicles that were not safe or were over the legal size/weight restrictions.

If you require that your vehicle should do anything out of the ordinary or cause a temporary hold-up of any kind, this can only be done with police assistance which must be booked a minimum of two weeks in advance.

For more information contact the Film Team.

Should you have any equipment that is not immediately portable (tracking, heavy props, scaffold towers), a Hoarding Licence is required and permission must be granted in advanceThis costs £500.

This is usually done at a site meeting, when you will be given the necessary application form. In order for your licence to be approved we advise your application is submitted a minimum of 10 working days prior to your filming date.​​

Police service is required at any film or photo shoot that involves any of the following

  • replica firearms or emergency service vehicles, or actors dressed as policemen, firemen or military personnel
  • any SFX that could be considered hazardous (smoke/wind/etc) or that could cause concern to the general public, surrounding residential and business communities
  • any activity that is generally considered to be illegal, hazardous or to have a disproportionate effect on the community

If Police are required, they may wish to attend a recce prior to the booking. This can be arranged by the Film Team and once your requirement has been agreed they will provide you with a copy of the relevant application forms.

You will then have to book your Police service a minimum of three weeks before the date of filming.

Contact the Film Team

Joanna Burnaby-Atkins: 020 7332 3202
Mick Bagnall: 020 7332 3182
Contact the Film team

Apply for a permit

City of London Filmapp