Our climate action progress
The City of London Corporation is committed to reporting and transparency. That is why we have developed a Climate Action Performance Dashboard so you can see our progress against net zero targets and resilience. You can read about our lessons learned and projects during the second year of the Climate Action Strategy in our 2023 progress report. You can also find our 2022 progress report at the bottom of this page.
What will you find in the 2023 climate action progress report?
This report sets out our performance during the financial year 2022/2023 towards our 2027 and 2040 net zero targets.
The report outlines progress to date in:
- Reduction: from financial years 2018/2019 to 2022/2023, the City Corporation has reduced carbon net emissions by 66% against a target of 68%, putting us on track to achieve net zero by 2027 in the City Corporation’s operations.
- Resilience: a series of projects and programmes are underway, tackling climate risks such as extreme heat or flooding. They have been designed to help protect our buildings, streets and open spaces now and in the future.
- Engagement: the City Corporation has been increasing and strengthening engagement with our value chain and partners across the Square Mile, to accelerate emissions reductions and achieving net zero by 2040.
How do we measure progress?
Data is fundamental to measuring progress. We have identified a range of key performance indicators (KPIs) which cover our own operations, our value chain (what we buy, sell, invest and lease to others) and the Square Mile. The key to determining our progress is by setting a baseline and tracking those indicators regularly and consistently.
To monitor and measure our progress, we carried out a carbon footprint assessment of all the City Corporation's emissions (Scopes 1, 2 and 3). This data was verified by independent sustainability specialist Achilles against the International Standard for greenhouse gas measurement and reporting, ISO 14064-1: 2018. This makes the City Corporation, one of the first local authorities to achieve assurance over its full value chain emissions, including its financial investments.
This means we can demonstrate robust progress reporting against our net zero targets.
What is in the dashboard?
The Climate Action Dashboard provides transparency on our progress and actions since the adoption of the Strategy in October 2020.
The dashboard outlines progress to date in:
- Overall emissions progress: plotting our emissions results against our baseline years, our interim targets and our net zero 2027 and 2040 ambitions.
- Key projects: twelve projects that fall under the Strategy’s four objectives. To learn more about our projects, visit Climate action projects.
- Key performance indicators: the 52 key performance indicators (KPIs) we are tracking, from kilometres of pedestrianisation to the number of fund managers with science-based targets.
If you use a smartphone, we recommend you use a horizontal view.
We have worked hard to make the Dashboard accessible but if you experience any issues, contact the Climate Action Team and we will provide you with the information in a different format.
We encourage everyone in the Square Mile and beyond to help us deliver our Climate Action Strategy. Please contact the Climate Action Team if you have any comments.