Skip to content
Date updated: 9/05/2023

Benefits, Universal Credit, and more are available to help you pay your rent, bills and other costs.

Help with energy bills

Green Doctors can help you reduce energy costs. Get your free consultation from Green Doctors, by calling 0300 365 3005 (free-to-call).

Families to receive £301 Cost of Living Payment

Residents on means-tested benefits, including Universal Credit, Pension Credit and tax credits will receive a £301 cost of living payment from 25 April. Two further payments will follow through 2023/24.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will send payments automatically and directly to recipients’ bank accounts, with a reference of their National Insurance number followed by ‘DWP COL’.

Are you facing or already affected by homelessness?

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, there may be support available to you. (You will need to complete a self-referral.)

Claiming benefits and Universal Credit

You may be able to claim benefits and universal credit if you aren’t already. Once you are claiming you will be able to access many other forms of support such as help with NHS costs, help with bills and more.

Need help with childcare costs?

There are a range of options available to parents in need of help with childcare costs. They can be found listed on our help with childcare costs web page.

Get help with the cost of school uniforms

The school uniforms grant can help you to buy school clothing and footwear for each of your children that attend a state school (from reception up to year 11). You can apply once per year, for each child.

Other benefits and money support from the Government

If you have recently experienced a bereavement, please visit our Bereavement Support web page for help and services.

Further discretionary support with housing costs

If you are claiming housing benefits or Universal Credit you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment. The payments are given to help you pay your rent.

The Priority Services Register

The Priority Services Register is a free support service that makes sure extra help is available to people in vulnerable situations.

General help for households

GOV.UK's Help for Households campaign has advice and support on lots of household costs, including bills, childcare, and benefits.

Social tariffs could save you money on broadband and mobile bills

Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits.