Skip to content
Date updated: 20/02/2024


0800 035 0003 - 24 hours, seven days a week.

All faults can be reported between 8am - 5pm.

Out of hours emergency repairs only can be reported between 5pm - 8am.

For gas repair, please press option two and you will be passed onto TSG Building Services.


Property Services team

Write or visit

Property Services - Barbican Estate Office,

3 Lauderdale Place,

London, EC2Y 8EN

As your landlord the City of London is responsible for effectively maintaining communal areas and inside your home (our fittings). Tenants are responsible for their own fittings or improvements that have been made within their home. The City of London is not responsible for repairing or replacing any item that has been damaged on purpose or neglected. If we carry out works which we are not obliged to do, the cost of such work will be recharged to the tenant and is called a rechargeable repair.

Service Standards

(Emergency - completed within 24 hours)

For some extreme situations requiring immediate action, we will aim to get to you within two hours.

Immediate situations only include:

  • A serious pipe leak causing severe damage
  • A blockage where raw sewage is overflowing into a home
  • Dangerous structures which could collapse
  • An uncontrolled water burst (if cutting off the supply does not control the leak)
  • A front door that needs to be made safe after a break-in

For other emergency situations, we will aim to get to you within 24 hours:

  • Electrical faults where there is a danger of fire or injury
  • Blocked toilet pans
  • No electricity supply
  • No mains water supply
  • A toilet which cannot be used (if there is only one toilet in the property)
  • No hot water
  • A heating system that has broken down in winter, or if there is an elderly or disabled person or baby in the house
  • A severe leak through the roof

(Urgent - completed within three working days)

This is for urgent repairs that do not fall into priority one and includes:

  • Repairing a toilet that is not flushing (if there is only one toilet in the property)
  • Unblocking a kitchen sink, bath or hand basin
  • Repairing the overflow from the toilet cistern
  • Checking the electrics after a water leak
  • Repairing garage doors and locks
  • Repairing a faulty cooker panel, if cooking by electric
  • Repairing a heating system
  • Repairing a faulty door entry system or monitor

(Completed within five working days)

This priority only includes:

  • Replacing washers
  • Repairing electrical sockets in a hall or bedroom
  • Replacing glass in shared areas (if there is no immediate danger)
  • Replacing toilet seat (for elderly or disabled tenants)
  • Repairing banister rails (if there is no immediate danger)

(Completed within 20 working days)

This is for non-urgent repairs that are not likely to become dangerous or cause serious damage.

This priority only includes:

  • Replacing baths, wash basin, kitchen sinks, toilet pans and cisterns
  • Plastering
  • Replacing wall and floor tiles (if there is no immediate danger)
  • Repairs to inside doors, locks and handles
  • Repairing fences and gates (if there is no immediate danger)
  • Repairing tiled surrounds on fireplaces
  • Preventing draughts around doors
  • Clearing blocked gutters

Gas safety for tenanted properties

The City of London, as your landlord, is required to check and service all gas appliances and associated pipe work that are used in all our tenanted properties, and it must be completed at a frequency of once every calendar year. Appliances such as boilers, cookers and gas fires which are in the City of London's ownership will be serviced annually and given a recognised and approved gas safety certificate for the forthcoming year.

The City of London has a gas servicing partnership contract with TSG Building Services, who is a registered company on the Gas Safety Register and are contracted to carry out the gas safety checks and to issue a gas safety certificate to tenants of the City of London. Therefore TSG will be expected to enter each tenanted property on our behalf to check the gas appliances. This is why our tenants' valued co-operation will be required to allow our partnering contractor into your property at least once a year. You will be notified well in advance before any service is due by our contractor.

Major works - health and safety documentation

Where we carry out construction / building works that are notifiable to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), we are required to produce a "Health and Safety" file detailing information necessary for future construction, maintenance, refurbishment or demolition to be carried out safely.

These files can be viewed by contacting Property Services by phone on 0800 035 0003 or email the Property Services team.