Visit Guildhall Library
Based on current Government advice on COVID-19, we regret to inform you that Guildhall Library will be closed to the public from Thursday 5 November to Monday 7 December 2020. Further information and updates will be posted on this page.
If you had a place booked at the library for November we will be contacting you to offer a new appointment in December (subject to any further Government announcement).
We are now also taking new bookings for visitors in December and January.
Guildhall Library will reopen to visitors on a pre-booked basis:
From Tuesday 8 December
We will be open Tuesday to Thursday, 10:30am – 3:30pm from 8 December and throughout the rest of December and January except for Christmas when we will close at 3.30pm on 23 December and open at 10.30am on Tuesday 5 January.
What are we offering?
Our priority is to reopen in a way which is safe for staff and readers; wearing face coverings is mandatory; we have social distancing in place and we have redesigned our systems and the layout of the reading room to operate safely and smoothly.
- Guildhall Library is offering 10 researcher places a day on a pre-booked basis for access to our collections.
- We will be open from 10.30am - 3.30pm Tuesday to Thursday from 8 December and throughout the rest of December and January (we will close for Christmas at 3.30pm on 23 December and reopen at 10.30am on 5 January).
- We will not be able to take any copying orders but, subject to copyright, you may take photographs with a camera or your phone. You will need to obtain a photography permit form which will be available on the day of your visit.
- Free public Wifi is available in the reading room.
- Please consider whether access to our material is essential or if it can be deferred for a few months.
In order to comply with guidance on social distancing and to ensure the safety of all visitors and staff, your experience will be slightly different to what you are used to - please see the document ‘What to expect when you visit’ towards the bottom of this page.
How can I book?
Please email Guildhall Library to book your preferred dates in December and January.
- In order to complete a booking, you need to identify the exact references of the material you wish to consult. For manuscripts this will be the manuscript number and, where necessary, the volume number. For printed material this will usually be the author, title, date and shelf-mark. You will be able to pre-order up to a maximum number of 12 items per visit. You will not be able to order anything on the day of your visit.
- We can help you use our catalogue by email but we must have all document references at least seven calendar days before your visit otherwise your booking may be cancelled and offered to someone else.
You are very welcome as a new researcher if you are able to identify exactly which resources you require.
There is no access to Guildhall Library without a booked appointment.
If you are unable to come in to use your booked slot, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can offer it to another researcher.
- We will be open to a maximum of 10 people per day
- Each visitor can order a maximum of 12 items per day
- Opening hours are for pre-booked visitors only from 8 December 10:30am to 3.30pm, Tuesday to Thursday
- You must provide a minimum of seven days notice for booking a visit – however if your research is urgent, please let us know.