Local plan 2015
The Local Plan, adopted in 2015 is the strategy for planning the City of London. It sets out the vision for shaping the Square Mile up to 2026 and contains the policies which guide planning decisions.
The Planning Policy Library includes:
- The Adopted Local Plan 2015 and
- Policies Maps A and B
- The Local Plan Adoption statement and Sustainability adoption statement
- The Local Plan Evidence Base of research and studies
Proposal Map B was re-published in September 2020 to correct a factual error in the boundary of the City Flood Risk Area, whereby areas of land within the Environment Agency Flood Zone 2 had been omitted. The City Flood Risk Area now includes land within Flood Zones 2 and 3 in accordance with the relevant Local Plan policies. In practice, this correction affects only very small areas of land within the City.
Local Plan evidence base
A wide range of information was compiled to support and justify the policies of the Local Plan and the Core Strategy which preceded it. The evidence base comprises:
- Relevant plans and strategies prepared by the City of London Corporation and other agencies and authorities operating in the City and at regional and national level.
- Research, studies and information that helped to inform the City's policies.
The Evidence Base documents are available on request by emailing the Local Plan Team
Local Plan examination
On 21 May 2014 the Local Plan was submitted to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government for examination by an independent planning inspector.
Mr Douglas Machin BSc DipTP MRTPI was appointed as the Inspector to examine the Local Plan.
The Inspector’s report was issued on 12 November 2014 and is available on request by emailing the Local Plan Team
Local plan monitoring reports
The adopted Local Plan policies are monitored to provide data on which to assess their implementation. A series of monitoring reports are published focusing on the Strategic Policies.
The London Plan
The London Plan is prepared by the Mayor of London. It sets out the strategic planning context and policies which apply throughout Greater London, including the City. The City’s Local Plan must be in general conformity with the London Plan.
The London Plan is on the Greater London Authority's website.
Local Development Scheme
The Local Development Scheme (LDS) sets out the programme for preparing the City of London Corporation's plans and policies, including the opportunity to participate. The LDS is updated regularly.
Archived statutory development plans
The City Corporation has produced a range of plans over many years.
- The Core Strategy was adopted in September 2011. It was carried forward (with alterations) into the Local Plan, which superseded it in January 2015. The Strategy is available upon request by emailing the Local Plan Team
- The first Unitary Development Plan (UDP) adopted in 1994.
- The second Unitary Development Plan adopted in April 2002. These are available on request by emailing the Local Plan Team.
Before the UDP was adopted the following statutory development plans were in force:
- The City of London Local Plan 1989 - prepared by the City of London Corporation and adopted in January 1989, this plan applied to the whole of the City except the Smithfield area. It remained in force until the UDP was adopted in 1994.
- Smithfield District Plan 1981- prepared by the City of London Corporation, this plan applied to the Smithfield area in the north-west of the City. It remained in force until the UDP was adopted in 1994.
- Greater London Development Plan (GLDP) 1976 - prepared by the former Greater London Council and applied to the whole of Greater London, including the City. The GLDP was a structure plan, operating at a strategic level, and so did not replace the County of London Plan, but operated in conjunction with it. The GLDP was adopted in July 1976 and continued in force until 1986. The plan is available at the London Metropolitan Archives.
- Administrative County of London Development Plan 1951 - this plan was prepared by the former London County Council. It applied to the whole of the then County of London, including the City. It was reviewed and updated in 1962. (The plan was also referred to as the Initial Development Plan - IDP). It remained in force within the City until superseded upon the adoption of the Smithfield District Plan in 1981 and the City of London Local Plan in 1989. The 1989 Local Plan and the Smithfield District Plan are available upon request by emailing the Local Plan Team .