All Change at Bank project
The All Change at Bank project looks at the future of the area around Bank Station which will re-open at the end of 2022 after an upgrade. The City of London Corporation wants to improve the pedestrian environment and provide a fitting setting for the iconic buildings at the heart of the Square Mile.
The area has seen significant pedestrian and cycling growth in recent years which the physical environment does not reflect. With expected continued growth from nearby developments and the station capacity upgrade, the project aims to deliver change at the junction by the end of 2022 by:
- Continuing to reduce casualties by simplifying the junction
- Reducing pedestrian crowding levels
- Improving air quality
- Improving the perception of place, as a place to spend time in rather than pass through
To reprioritise space across the junction and to build on the temporary work completed in September 2020. The proposal is to further restrict motor vehicle movement on three of the arms, 24/7. This will deliver a simplified junction layout and provide the opportunity to deliver substantial improvements for pedestrian and cycling movement across the area.
We prepared proposals including their benefits and the impacts for a public consultation which took place in the spring.
The consultation has closed and we will report the findings this summer.
- Public consultation – March 29 2021 - May 10 2021
- Proposed design changes and consultation feedback – June - September 2021
- Final detailed design and construction planning – July - October 2021
- Seek approval from the Planning & Transportation Committee to move to construction – October 2021
- Construction could start from January 2022 with estimated completion spring/summer 2023
Previous and upcoming reports to the City of London Corporation’s Streets and Walkways Sub (Planning and Transportation) Committee:
May 2020 – All Change at Bank options appraisal report
October 2020 – All Change at Bank detailed feasibility report
February 2021 – All Change at Bank public consultation proposal
September 2021 – Report back on the public consultation findings
October 2021 – Seeking authority to move to construction phase
You can contact a member of the team at All Change at Bank.
Highway proposals through the All Change at Bank scheme. Map B and Map C, below, can be referenced for additional detail.
Map B of proposals for All Change at Bank scheme.
Map C of proposals for All Change at Bank scheme.
Public realm proposals through the All Change at Bank scheme.
Proposed changes to bus routes 11/N11/26/N26 through the All Change at Bank scheme.
Proposed changes to bus routes 133/N133 through the All Change at Bank scheme.
Proposed changes to bus routes 8/N8/N242 through the All Change at Bank scheme.