Council tax empty property
A full council tax charge applies to all properties that are not in use as a main home or are unfurnished, this includes:
- furnished properties not in use as a main home i.e. second homes
- unoccupied and substantially unfurnished property that have been so for less than two years. After a period of two years a long-term empty property premium is charged
- properties undergoing major repair or structural alteration
Check to see if your property falls within one of the council tax exemption categories.
Long-term empty property premium
A premium of the relevant band charge is applied depending on how long the property has been empty. For 2021/22 this will result in an additional levy depending on how long the applicable vacant dwelling has been empty for:
- 2 or more years, but less than 5 years, a levy of 100%, (i.e. a charge of 200%)
- 5 or more years, but less than 10 years, a levy of 200%, (i.e. a charge of 300%)
- 10 or more years, a levy of 300% (i.e. a charge of 400%)
In exceptional circumstances local authorities have a discretion to reduce or waive the empty premium charge. Contact the council tax team for further details.
If you notify us that a property is now occupied and/or furnished and therefore a long-term premium is no longer applicable, physical inspections will be carried out to verify the property status.