Have your say on shaping the City Corporation’s priorities
Cycling in the City of London
Cyclists in the Square Mile now make up a quarter of all traffic and this figure can rise to over 50% on major streets during peak hours. Cycling has many advantages for health, wellbeing and the environment and is central to the Transport Strategy. We want the range of people choosing to cycle to match the diversity of people who work, study, live in and visit the City.
Did you know:
- There is a 20mph speed limit in the Square Mile
- Many one-way streets in the City are contra-flow for cyclists
- The City is connected to London's network of Cycleways and Quietways
- The Active City Network offers City of London employers a number of free services
Plan a route
Here are some handy tools to help you plan your ride:
- Transport for London’s Go app helps you plan your journey on the move
- Transport for London's Cycle Map shows the Cycle Superhighway and Quietway cycle routes across London. The map is useful if you haven’t cycled to work before or are a beginner or infrequent cyclist who would prefer to use backstreets where possible
Santander Cycles now includes e-bikes, so more people can take advantage of London's cycle hire scheme.
Dockless cycle hire is a service in which cycles can be located, hired and unlocked using a smartphone app and do not require a docking station. There are four dockless cycle operators on the Square Mile including Dott, Lime , TIER and Human Forest.
Dockless cycle hire operators use geofence technology to ensure that cycles can only be parked in authorised locations. If you do not follow parking rules you may continue to be charged, fined or blocked.
If you have concerns about the way that hired cycles are being used, or if you hired cycles parked inappropriately, please report it to the relevant operating company.
- Dott Contact Number: 0800 048 8993
- Lime Contact Number: 0800 808 5223
- TIER Contact Number: 0808 164 9486
- Human Forest Contact Number: 0208 157 7491
If you work, study or live in the Square Mile you can get free cycle skills training from expert instructors at Cycle Confident. Whether you are a first-time rider or a regular cyclist who wants to improve your confidence at complex junctions, in heavy traffic or at night, your instructor will tailor the session to suit your individual abilities and goals.
Cycle Confident offers:
- Cycle Skills: Basic (off-road environment), Urban (quiet local roads) or Advanced (complex junctions and busy roads) and Family Cycle Skills
- Bespoke cycling related packages for businesses
TFL’s online cycling skills training
TfL runs a free online cycle skills course for new cyclists or those just wanting to brush up their cycling skills.
Cargo bike rider training
If your business transports goods by cargo bike and you are interested in receiving cargo bike rider training, so your business can transport goods safely, Pedal Me provides City & Guilds ‘Assured’ cargo bike rider training, including 1-1 cycle skills training.
Go to Pedal Me training for more information.