Cycling in the City of London
Cycling has more than doubled in London since 2000. Cyclists in the Square Mile now make up a quarter of all traffic and this figure can rise to over 50% on major streets during peak hours. Cycling has many advantages for health, wellbeing and the environment and is central to the Transport Strategy. We want the range of people choosing to cycle to match the diversity of people who work, study, live in and visit the City.
Did you know:
- There is a 20mph speed limit in the Square Mile
- Many one-way streets in the City are contra-flow for cyclists
- The City is connected to London's network of Cycleways and Quietways
- The Active City Network offers City of London employers a number of free services
So enjoy some exercise, help clean London’s air and make cycling part of your day.
Plan a route
Here are some handy tools to help you plan your ride:
- Transport for London’s Go app helps you plan your journey on the move
- Transport for London's Cycle Map shows the Cycle Superhighway and Quietway cycle routes across London. The map is useful if you haven’t cycled to work before or are a beginner or infrequent cyclist who would prefer to use backstreets where possible.
Explore our interactive map to find cycle parking near you. The City Corporation car parks have secure undercover cycle parking including CCTV.
If you work, study or live in the City of London you can get free cycle skills training from expert instructors at Cycle Confident. Whether you are a first-time rider or a regular cyclist who wants to improve your confidence at complex junctions, in heavy traffic or at night, your instructor will tailor the session to suit your individual abilities and goals.
Cycle Confident offers:
- Cycle Skills: Basic (off-road environment), Urban (quiet local roads) or Advanced (complex junctions and busy roads) and Family Cycle Skills
- Bespoke cycling related packages for businesses.
TFL’s online cycling skills training
TfL runs a free online cycle skills course for new cyclists or those just wanting to brush up their cycling skills. There are four short modules.
- Tips to get you and your cycle prepared for the road
- How to start cycling on the road safely and responsibly
- Tips to brush up on your cycling skills
- How to cycle in a group with children or adults
Cargo bike rider training
If your business transports goods by cargo bike and you are interested in receiving cargo bike rider training, so your business can transport goods safely, Pedal Me provides City & Guilds ‘Assured’ cargo bike rider training, including 1-1 cycle skills training.
Go to Pedal Me Training for more information.